Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Powergen alternator question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reefer, Jan 12, 2018.

1. reefer

reefer

Im contemplating changing from 6volt to 12 volt and I am looking at the Powergen alternators.I read that the early ones had issues regarding overheating and reliability, does anyone know ,for sure, if the latest ones are ok.By the time Id get one home over here it would be approx. $600 or so ( in US money) so as you can imagine I don't want to spend that ammount on a weak component.

The other question, I would be looking to fit one of the pulleys that allow the stock Ford engine fan to be used.Is the front alternator bearing up to taking this load and does this fitment compromise the cooling of the alternator windings in any way.

TIA.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Run both a power gen and an original 12 volt early 60’s generator on my vehicles.
    I’d suggest using the generator on it. Your car probably doesn’t require the amperage the alternator provides.
    On the other hand, my powergen works just fine, no issues now for 6-7 yrs.
    pulleys don’t cause any issues either but I have the new style pump bearings.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. Bigblue61

Bigblue61

Ive also had my Powergen for about 7 years, drive my car approx. 4 or 5 thousand miles a year and haven't had a problem. I actually went to the factory unannounced, since its only about an hour away and told them I was in the neighborhood and just wanted to stop by. They actually took me through the shop on a little tour. Not really a lot to see but they took the time out of their day to do it.

Automotive Stud likes this.
  4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I bought one around 2009 and I had it stop charging about four years ago. I contacted them and they said send it in and they'd look at it. It wound up having a brush hanging up. They fixed it and sent it back to me no charge, they didn't even ask when I bought it, even thought it's advertised as a one year warranty. My last build I rebuilt a generator for it.

Max Gearhead likes this.