Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power washer / Steam cleaner Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sobastrace, Mar 15, 2006.

1. What do you guys use in your shops for new projects? In the past I always did cans of degreaser, with a scrub brush and got down and dirty under the car. I am now mature enough ( that means grey anough) to consider a smarter way to do this. I saw somebody in torrance that has a pressure washer that had a built in water heater to spray 100+ degree water at high pressure to help clean the underside of cars.

My ford has had a power steering leak for probably the last twenty years. There are places where I scraped up to 2 inches thick of grease and dirt. There has to be a better way. Most of the pressure washers I saw at sears just used cold hose water. Do you guys use anything like this. Do you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
    -Sobastrace
    dirty and greasy 55 ford that needs to be cleaned in RB, CA

2. Flatman

Flatman

I guess I cover both ends of the spectrum. I have a small garage, so the scraping/degreaser method is easier to keep the shop clean. At work we have a high temperature steam jenny that can really blast the crud away. Problem with that is the floor, walls, etc get pretty dirty fast, and the drains need cleanning often. I've used gas powered pressure washers with a hot water feed, they're not too bad. There used to be air powered units in the old days that sat in the corners of small shops. They had their own heaters inside and used shop air for the pressure. I spent a few of my teen years washing the floors in the local garage:D

Flatman