Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Power Steering in 51 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsidhu77, Oct 20, 2013.

1. dsidhu77

dsidhu77

Has anyone used or have opinions on either of these two kits for a 51 Merc? Both very different kits, but just looking for opinions.

1949, 1950, 1951 MERCURY DELPHI 600 BOX DIRECT BOLT ON POWER STEERING CONVERSION
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181242817413

EPAS, electric power steering kit for vintage and race cars
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPAS-electri...-/261255660682

Or other options that someone might have used?

(If this is the wrong location for this post, please tell me)

Thank you,
    David

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

First ends up at $825 with shipping and appears to be bolt in, second one is $1350 free shipping and fits almost all vehicles so you will have to engineer the installation..I'd go to Borgenson and see what they have, my two cents.....

3. dsidhu77

dsidhu77

Thank you - will check them out.

4. JEM

JEM

Know nothing about this vendor, it looks like a Delphi 600/670 which is an excellent piece, but...

- they're available in several ratios, some of the pro-touring types seem to like 12:1 boxes and 2 turns lock to lock but for most road cars this is unbearably twitchy. Make sure you know what you're getting.

- know your vendor, make sure to verify the sellers track record and parts availability when stuff breaks in a year.

The seller location says France, but the url on the controller box says usautoperformance.com. Once again, know nothing about them specifically but setups like this are getting more common.

Bear in mind they will add assist, but won't fix a sloppy worn out box nor speed up a vague, sailboat-ratio 5 3/4 turn box so make sure you understand what you are trying to do.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

5. I know a little about booth. The bolt in Deliphe box Jawbone has on ebay I helped with that design as there was another seller on ebay who was selling a bolt in kit but with his kit the pitman arm was to high but people bought his over mine as mine requires some cutting drilling and welding. To compete we had to raised up the box to make it a bolt on but we also custom make a Delphi box with an extened shaft so the pitman arm is back in the stock location. So with the bolt in kit you must use a custom made Deliphe box and it also raise the steering column up unlike my first design. I prefer my first design as it work's with a normal Delphi box and the steering column is in the stock location. I sell both styles on ebay also. As for the company EPAS i know nothing. I got my parts that look very close to theres from a manufacture in Iserial with hopes to offer a kit dome day. I have installed this style of power steering all under a 49 merc dash and it works fine here in the shop but have not road tested. You can hear the pump run especially at full lock so it would be better under the hood.

Rick Erickson / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

6. dsidhu77

dsidhu77

Thanks for the details Rick!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. dsidhu77

dsidhu77

Jen thank you for the great pointers. After hearing from you guys I'm going to pass on the second option and try to get some more info on the one Rick worked on.

Thank you,
    David

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Dave here are a few pics of my older design Deliphe kit and the Merc Woody i installed our first bolt in kit with the custom made Deliphe box you see in jawbones and my ebay add. Booth styles work very well. As a mater of fact on this woody we removed a Fatman adapter kit with the big F100 power box to get more room for headers. I also had to lower the steering column back down but not as low as stock.

Rick Erickson / Extreme Kustoms 951 678-3520

Attached Files:

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Just stumbled onto this article and JAMCO using an Isuzu Rodeo PS box. Might help someone?

10. i'm going with 1999-2004 jeep grand cherokee power box! we shall soon see!

11. Slopok

Slopok

Are you planning to do that with the Flathead?

12. T Fritz

T Fritz

I would use the Delphi 600 box. the original Ford box is iffy at best and why speed good money on top of iffy.
    T Fritz