Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power Steering for Hardtop[

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldRacer, Sep 1, 2003.

1. OldRacer

OldRacer

Has anybody replaced the manual horizontal shaft steering box, like the F1 I have in there now with a power steering unit ? Space prevents me from using a vertical shaft cross steering unit.Won the 20 lap main last friday night but was so damn weak after that I almost couldn't get out of the car!!! I've heard some Toyota 4wd pu's have a unit like that. I'm sure someone has done this before, any suggestions would be appreciated.It's a 37ford sedan with a 37 front end under it. Thanks

2. I've heard the same on the Toyota boxes,but I think at least some of them are manual.Is there a Pick-a-part near by?

3. Might be hard to find but the '61 Buick Special and probably the same year Olds F-85 unit is similar. Stock GM pump works with 'em too.

4. OldRacer

OldRacer

Yeah Unk, thats my very next move, several near by and plan on hitting them tomorrow. Always a help to have an idea of what to look for though, Thanks

Thanks SJ, will keep my eye out for one of those too.

5. preferolschool

preferolschool
    from Dallas, TX

check 79-85 toyota boxes, i think.
    check f-1/100 places to see what they use. I know someone makes kits out there for refernce purposes only ofcourse.

6. Radshit

Radshit

You won??? Congradulations!....got any pics of that baby?.....

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You want a power box out of a 79-85 4x4 4-Runner or 4x4 SR5 Pickup only. Nothing else will be small & compact enough or come out as traditional steering. This is the box the F1/F100 guys are all using...

[​IMG]

8. OldRacer

OldRacer

Thanks Ernie and everybody, just the info i needed, heading to the local pick and pull in the morning! I'll try and post a pic of the old girl and me if i can remember how !!!

Bruce

9. Mild Mitch

Mild Mitch

Damn! Bruce that car is bitchin! Looks a lot different than the last time you posted photos, Congtrats! And You Won too!
    are you racing at Sacramento? Let me know and I'll come cheer you on if I can.
    Mitch

10. Radshit

Radshit

Very Nice.......

11. OldRacer

OldRacer

Thanks guys, got the power steering parts yesterday, start fabbin this afternoon! Yeah Mitch, the next race at Sac Raceway is the 19th, we run on the same show as some wingless sprints. Then Saturday nite the 20th we run at Orland, for that one some of the oregon guys are coming down, should be a good show, we were up there last month.Come on up and watch us have fun [​IMG]

12. Damn Bruce, the car looks great, congrats on your win as well. I think you are the only guy outa the "hardtop group" that actually followed thru and built a car. Well done. Any chance you'll be coming down to Petaluma ?

13. OldRacer

OldRacer

Thanks ric. Nothing on the schedule this year for the Petaluma track. Ther has been a lot of interest shown and if we can get the car count up, currently 7, I'm sure the chances of being guests at other tracks will come. Hopefully next year. McClure is still building, he has come by to check us out, maybe next year he will run with us.Need to get you and Mitch fired up again [​IMG]

Bruce

14. Mild Mitch

Mild Mitch

Thanks Bruce, what are the start times?