Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Power Steering Box For A 1937 LaSalle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Carl Hungness, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Carl Hungness

Carl Hungness

I have a friend who has installed Saginaw power steering box #7819688 in his '37 LaSalle and I want to put power steering in a duplicate car. After researching this particular box I find it was made for 1970'-80's cars and isn't the most modern of units. Thus I'm seeking suggestions for another more modern box that may fit without too much modification. Suggestions solicited. I am installing a modern V-8 in the car as well, so I'm not going to have problems with the power steering pump installation. I have read " a modern NASCAR box will do" but see no reference as to what vehicle they may come from.Thanks, Carl Hungness

2. alchemy

alchemy

I wouldn't suggest something like a NASCAR box. Find a production car box that you can easily repair or replace when the need arises.

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I think the term NASCAR just means variable ratio , but not 100% sure . Google is your friend concerning this . If so you would be wasting your money , time and effort . Just use a production power steering box as suggested and let her eat .

4. squirrel

squirrel

If you have some pictures of how the steering box was installed, maybe we could be more helpful...????

The 605 box is pretty popular for power steering conversions, but as you said, it's getting a bit old. And it never was a very good design, to start with--it was a cost/weight saving measure during the peak of the 1970s GM crappiness era.