Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power Plant for 35 Plymouth Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by new direction, Feb 15, 2011.

1. new direction

new direction
    from Illinois

I'm considering putting a late model Chrysler Hemi out of a truck along with it's overdrive auto trans and computer in my 35 Plymouth Coupe project. Looking for thoughts / suggestions on years and sizes when doing my salvage yard search. I want to be able to get good performance and decent gas millage. I have the resources to rebuild both if necessary. Help anyone?
    Thank you.

2. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

That sounds good as long as you are going to use a hood. I have a 2010 Ram truck with a 390 hp hemi in it, it gets 20 mpg on the highway and runs great but I would not use it in a hoodless hot rod.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

A real hemi would be cooler. might as well use a LA if you're going late model. Not as wide, easier to hide.

4. hemislave

hemislave

Indy cylinder head has an intake with interchangable tops. 4b,2 4s, or 6 pak.(3 duces). I think they also have valve covers for them to. (you know eliminates the coil paks.)

5. new direction

new direction
    from Illinois

I'll check into the Indy cyl head options. Might be the answer.
    Yes, the coupe is going to have a complete hood (as well as fenders). That is part of the problem with say............a 331. From the measurements I have it just won't fit w/o serious modifications. My goal is to have an original look from the outside.
    I do, however get your drift on the look of a "not real" Hemi.

6. 73RR

73RR

7. new direction

new direction
    from Illinois

OK, so ..............................decided to go with and "old school" hemi and looks as though I have the room and still be able to close the hood. Any thoughts on how to narrow my search as to which hemi to try to find?

8. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

I'd be looking for one of the smaller hemi's if you want to retain the hood and sides without blisters or cut outs. As 73RR mentioned, the 276/291 DeSoto's and the 241/270 Dodges are narrower than the Chrysler hemi's and should fit within the confines of the hood. Even the tall deck DeSoto's and Dodge's are narrower than the 331/354/392's. Not as many speed parts for the smaller hemi's, but its coming along. 73RR should have some parts for the small hemi's, as well as Hot heads and other sources.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  9. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I am almost done putting a 331 Chrysler Hemi in my '36 Dodge. Hood sides will not fit, and I will have to notch these perfect front fenders to get them back on. But the hood top will fit.

Attached Files:

10. new direction

new direction
    from Illinois

Thank you for the thoughts. I still have a little time untill I have to choose but nice to get others input.
    36 Dodge Ram, that sucks! Where is the conflict with the fender? I'll be interested in how you work through the solution.

11. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

The front of the 331 heads is wider than the radiator shell. So the hood sides won't fit. I 've seen several '35 & '36 Mopars in shows and you have to notch the fender about 3" deep and 6" long where they meet the front of the head to get them back on after Hemi install. I haven't cut mine yet and am not looking forward to it. Will test drive it for a while with no fenders, but I am going to run fenders and hood top.

12. ems customer service

ems customer service

not positive of this but i was told that you would need the complete wiring harness from that truck and the gauge cluster and the gas pedal. i was told it is one big intergrated wiring system. there was a guy advertising a manifold to use a carb and a normal electronic distrib cause the the wiring change over was so bad. check before you buy

13. Weasel

Weasel

Dodge 315/325 (26" wide) at the widest point is about 4" narrower than the 331/354/392 Chrysler (approx 30" wide). 241/270 Dodge will fit in most anything as they are narrower still at around 24". De Soto should be close to the Dodge in width but very limited speed parts availability.

It really depends on what you want the car to do - race or street drive, weekend warrior or daily driver, do you want to be able to drive cross country or just be a local hero? Bear in mind that the Chrysler hemis are heavy brutes and you might want to think of the balance of the car as one factor to consider.

Late model hemi is not a bad option - maybe you'll get some flak here but I can tell you for sure that Jerry Mallicoat of the famed Mallicoat Brothers who raced a 1941 Willys coupe in the gasser wars in the 1960s, runs a late model hemis in his all steel 1941 Willys coupe, which he drives pretty much everywhere....

[​IMG]