Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power Hammer School

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty petcock, Aug 5, 2008.

1. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

So I'm Going to Fay Butler's class in a few months, and I can't figure out what to bring for my project. I worked for Dave Tucci for a while, so I do have a lot of hammer exerience, I just want to take what little skill I have to the next level. I don't care if I make A car or motorcycle part at all. I just want to learn as much as possible, so what do you think would be the best thing to make? Anyone that has been to Fay's before please let me know what I can do to make my visit as productive as possible.

2. I would design a very complex bike tank.
    Or a Deco inspired fender with a recurve at the end.

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Whatever you figger out for a project, make sure that it requires alot
    of shrinking, stretching and shaping. Since the reason you're taking the
    class is to build on your skills, don't short change yourself by picking a
    project that has little of the above suggested details. A larger fender
    or a track nose would be my choice as they both have much surface
    area to develope, a bike tank does not. If you're conserned about the
    cost of shipping your completed project home and thus limiting the size of
    the project, consider leaving that project behind when you leave. It's the
    skill you will develope during the time spent at Fay's, not the project, that's the trophy.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Have a good idea what you want to learn, before going. I took a buck that I built for a Mullins trailer fender. After the class there was a MetalMeet get together, at another guys place, I had a chance to make another fender using a different method (which was faster). The more ways that you make a part, the better off you are.

Fay likes for you to have a low and high crown panel to make. When I took the class, it was from about 8AM to 10PM. Be prepared for a long day and have fun.

5. coupeman36

coupeman36

I made a spare tire well for a front fender. No matter what you make get as much info from that man as possible!
    I went to his class in 2005, there is so much to learn from Fay I could take it a few more times and learn new stuff every time. You will not be dissappointed.

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i think a track nose or something of that sort would be good, especially if you have a bit of understanding already
    maybe a section of something like an early V8 fender, where it has a reverse curve down the backside, a bead on the side and a rolled edge up underneath

good luck and have fun
    Zach

7. BarryA

BarryA

Jeremy(?)

I have just completed a month long "world tour" learning more about sheet metalshaping. Larry's (fordcragar) advice is spot on.
    Fay's class isn't cheap (not to me anyways), but I still believe it can be a bargain depending on what you get out of it. He would like students to be well prepared before attending. He has some guidelines/recommended reading on his site. The better prepared you are in terms of general understanding of what is happening to the metal when you shape it, as well as what it is that you want to do with the knowledge you gain, the more worthwhile your time will be.
    I unfortunately didn't take his class while in the US - I was under the impression beforehand, that he is a power hammer guy only. I did get to spend half a day with him, and you can bet I will be coming back before too long to take the class. His philosophy's on shaping metal, the process of learning etc. make about the most sense of anything I have heard or read anywhere. Just based on a few pointers/ideas in our conversation I can already see improvements in my metalshaping, simply by having a better understanding of what is happening.
    Good Luck
    Barry

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Anywhere anytime any class remember learn to shrink! shrink! shrink!
    Any fool can make metal BIG.