Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical POWER BRAKE CONVERSION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da dodge brother, Oct 2, 2019.

1. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

BREAK TECH QUESTION ... I just purchased and installed a power brake unit in my '55 Dodge. (Please anyone .. do not purchase on of these units from Pirate Jacks..If you really want to know why ask later ..) Anyway after many issues we have it installed, and a rather nice job I must admit. But we have a problem. I have brakes going forward (not the best but brakes) but hardly no brakes at all going in reverse. The master cylinder is new and is for a drum, drum, set up. I have all drums brakes on the car. It seems as though the booster has vacuum because when you start the car with your foot on the brake pedal you can feel the pedal drop slightly. The set up has the master cylinder lines feeding into a brake bias unit that has an adjustable setting. and from the unit the lines run to the wheels. I tried adjusting different settings on the bias unit but nothing seemed to help. Yes we did bench bleed the master cylinder before installation. All the wheel units have been bled. I do have have a new master for a disc, drum set up. Do you think I should maybe install this, seeing that I have the bias setting set up???. Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated ... Picture is of the brake bias unit. Lines run from the master cylinder to the unit, then from the unit to the wheels ... brake bias unit.jpg

2. are the drum brakes in good condition? have they been PROPERLY adjusted?

3. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

All drums are in great condition and have been adjusted ...