Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powdercoated rims..Mistake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frankie47, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

UV light, these rims will be exposed year round will there be fading issues? They are red...I know, let it go, that is my preference for this car.
    Thanks.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, powder coating is effectively paint, just a different delivery method. It can have all of the same faults. A properly applied, professional grade product should outlast most paints.

All finishes fade over time. With powder coating, it is a really long time. I have stuff out there on abused 4x4 stuff that, if washed and waxed, looks no different three years later.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

No mistake. You will be pleased in the long term.

4. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Can you paint over powdercoating?

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

It is not clearcoated, so I don't expect shiney forever,:eek:you can wax powdercoat????

6. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Absolutely

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Properly prepped and you can paint anythin ,By that I mean scuff and shoot.

8. You will be fine, I have several mountainbikes that have been in the sun for 15-20 years with powder and no fade.

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I was advised by pinstriper Li'l Louie not to pinstripe over powder coat, unless it's scuffed first and cleared afterward. He says it chips very easily.

Right or wrong, I followed his advice.

10. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

lol all the attitude and no pics haha

11. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Ok why we are on powdercoating.. How about axles, wishbones ect.. Paint or powdercoat??? And say down the road I decide to chrome the pieces that I powdercoated.. Is it hard to remove?

12. rick finch

rick finch

Have coated rims on two vehicles, both over 10 yrs. still bright and shiny. (Wheel Vintique's steelies)

13. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

The "rim" or the whole wheel?

14. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Do you really need a picture to imagine original steelies with powdercoat attached?
    Or is this just another HAMB pissing contest?
    Last time I checked there are no wishbones on a 47 Dodge...read my signature. Disidons

15. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I powder-coated my rims,backing plates, and axle on my 29 roadster--then painted the spring,split wishbones,and steering parts.I painted inside the axle web the backing plates / rim color.Everything looked good--sold the car--powder coat stayed good--paint not so much.
    The next car--a highboy--will get all powder coat on the chassis parts--looks good, lots of colors now,less upkeep.

Attached Files:

16. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Thanks Willie.

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if it was applied right, I don't see why it would chip, I rebuilt the entire suspension on my off topic car, and it's all powercoated a color called universal black, looks original, powdercoat is much tougher then paint. wait until you have to remove some. If you ever do, if the EPA hasn't banned it yet, eastwood made a product that actually eats powdercoat.

18. mako4r

mako4r

If you have the means to bake such a large object.....yes powdercoat it.

Take a piece of scrap alum/ steel tube [6"] to your powdercoater and use a basic color.... paint another piece w your best paint. Now take the painted piece .. put in a vice and whack w hammer. Painted crap will flake off. The powdercoated piece will only show a dent from hammer blow. All colors can be clear coated as well.

I've seen professional race quad frames powdercoated, late-model dirt track car wheels,valve covers,headers and many other items take some serious abuse year after year and still not flake off. Its all in the prep...soda blasting or glass beads is by far better than sandblasting.

I myself have done many an old cast iron stoves from the early 20's/30's. Pig iron from the early century was shipped from overseas. the tins were stamped here..., all show the same sheen regardless of metal or age.

good prep will give best finish
    enjoy for years

bill.h

19. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I'm sorry, I was mad about the southpark idiot, didn't realize your question was seperate:eek:

20. rick finch

rick finch

Shit....I said rims, meant the whole wheel. (bad habit)

21. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

My wheels and frame are powder coated satin black. Not traditional, but no regrets[​IMG]

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

looks traditional to me, whats not traditional about black? Henry's cars came in any color as long as it was that.

23. not if your powdercoater gets a good uv resistant powder, they make weather durable powders.

24. madpole

madpole

i have powder coated wheels that have done well over time. no fade or chips after several years

25. i do em all the time and yes, its tougher than paint, so it is harder to strip, but easily done if you wave a torch over it first.

26. Weasel

Weasel

For those of you who are terminologically challenged...

RIM:

[​IMG]

27. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Point taken.

28. mullskull

mullskull

i know this is a hot rod forum, but....
    17years ago i powder coated the "rims", and hubs, frame- on my Harley black-
    they still look great..and that's with parking it outside, riding it all year round(east coast) and a once a year cleaning..

29. nope, no issues, make sure the powdercoater uses the correct powder for the job. some are indoor powders, some poutdoor w/ uv protection etc etc, many industrial reds to choose from also that will hold up very well for many years

30. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Powder painted the frame, wheels and running gear on the Zipper 10 years ago and it's held up just fine.

Attached Files: