Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Powder or paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by e-tek, May 4, 2013.

1. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Just had these sandblasted. So, for ou guys that have done spoked wheels - powder or paint?

[​IMG]

2. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Had mine powder-coated by a down-&-out powder coater (he'd just lost a big commercil contract). Charged me $20 a wheel, and that included a second sand blasting to remove any traces of oil from handling. Being a big spender, I paid him $25 just 'cause I was so happy with the outcome. And have remained happy for over a year now. No chipping even though tires have been swapped twice. I vote powder-coating.

Attached Files:

3. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Powdercoat is way more resilient than paint (like 10X stronger). Especially on wheels.

4. Powder.
    You'll get more film build and that will fill the blasting texture...plus...powder offers better coverage(unless you're an incredibly efficient painter)....and it's more cost efficient----sealer, color, catalyst, reducer vs. $20-40 a wheel. No brainer :cool:
    Spokes?....I'd rather paint roll bars or tubing!:)

5. bgaro

bgaro

powder is hands down the way to go. they want $75 a wheel 'round here. at that price i'll paint 'em myself, but check prices in your area. it would cost the same to have a bodyshop spray them.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Powder. Hands down, winner.

7. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

powder, its a bit*h trying to paint them no thanks!

8. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Powder will hold up much better then paint ever will. I deal with two powder coaters here for my job. One of them showed me a job he did and it had a clear powder over the color. It was amazingly deep looking. It looked like it had 8 coats of clear over candy paint. Powder has come a long way in the past 5 years.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We are painting less and less and powder coating more and more. We pay $75 a wheel too and for that money it isn't worth dragging out all the spray equipment, the clean up, and the cost of paint and primer these days. Plus, it reaches into spots where you have trouble getting paint to go.

Don

10. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Powder! No brainer on this one!

11. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Powder coat ours. Last set 2 years ago and still no chips or scratches.

12. farmer12

farmer12

Powder. Easy.

13. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

[​IMG]

That wheel is a beauty and the deal ya got was insane!

Powder it is.

14. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

Powder is the only way. You'd be crazy to paint wheels today.

15. 27 tallt

27 tallt

:(I have a set of spoked wheels and was told by the powder coater man that powder coating does not do well if it has to bridge a gap between the rim and the spokes (assuming the spokes are removeable and not welded). Because the spokes are removable or can be adjusted the wheel supposedly flexes along with the spokes. And so I opted for painting, but if everybody is doing the powder coating and are not finding a problem, then maybe I should rethink the whole thing.:D

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Powder for sure. Never needs polishing and lasts forever. Powder coated my frame. A damp cloth and she's good to go.

17. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

If the spokes are removable, dismantling the wheel and having the rim and hub done separately would be better. I would go for plating or, if stainless, polishing the spokes to get the contrast. Look at the Borranis on the classic Ferraris to see what I mean. It's the contrast that makes them cool.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your powder coater sounds like a quitter. I have been getting spoked wheel powder coated, for over 15-years, and have yet to see an issue. Best part, the 15-year-old ones look like they were done yesterday.

19. ydopen

ydopen

Yes on powder. I have 16,000 miles on a set of spoke 35's and not even a rock chip.

John