Register now to get rid of these ads!

powder coating nightmare

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled, Apr 19, 2013.

1. A powder coat shop in Pensacola Fl overheated the aluminum retainig ring in my 53 Merc gauge cluster. I have not seen it but they told me it is not usable. They say that they are going to make it right. So if anyone knows where I can get another one please let me know. If anyone needs a powder coat shop in the south east I'll let you know in a PM where not to go.

This is chapter two, chapter one was the the first time. It sounds like they were trying to cook there first layer off. I am not an expert I figured they would blast off the 1st try. The problem with the 1st try was they missed the edges.

This is not a new shop it is one I have done business with twice in the past with no trouble.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Did they have details on how they were making it right? Replace? Money? Discount on next job?

3. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

You said that you never had any problems the last two times and they are going to make it right. So where is the issue. I understand you want your part dine right but shit happens. Explain what the deal is before bashing. I understand frustration but whats their solution to making it right?

4. verde742

verde742

they didn't wake up that morning, thinkin' " what can I mess up today?

Give them more business, not less, Sorry 'bout yer piece.

5. gtowagon

gtowagon

You can't cook off or blast off powdercoat the only way to get it off is aircraft stripper

6. raidmagic

raidmagic

I don't know, sucks your part was hurt/ruined but you have to appreciate the fact they are going to make it right. I don't know that you can ask anything more than that.

7. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I once ran over a customers '66 chev taillight bezel, he got another one and I took the part price off his bill at my pc shop. don't badmouth the guy, that's just the way it goes sometimes, shit happens

8. henry29

henry29

Powder coat can be removed by baking it at 800°

9. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Having been self-employed for many, many years, here's my two cents. Any shop that provides a service can screw up. If you have had a good relationship with them in the past, and they admit that they botched the job, and they are willing to not use the "customers risk" ploy, I'd give them another shot. I'll bet that if you are nice, don't get upset with them, and show some appreciation that they are going to make it right then you will become a very favored customer. And will give you future special considerations. Of course, the next few parts would be easily replaced just in case . (smiling) Show understanding and cut them slack. It will almost always lead to better everything.

10. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I agree with flathead guy.Everyone makes mistakes sooner or later in life. Hay atleast they are willing to take care of the problem.Ya get a shitty attitude with them is not a good idea.

11. greazy john

greazy john

when something goes bad at my shop you just take care of it and go on , everybody fks up now and then ,always take care of the customer...99% of my business is repete some may not be happy at first but always good in the long run...be calm

12. Sphynx,

I am really just looking for a new one. I was trying to avoid a public bashing, if you notice I did not mention the name of the shop.

Tim

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I was expecting a lot more drama from a "powder coating nightmare".

14. ummm, not true.
    really, why do people post things they have no clue about?

15. Agreed

16. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

If the shop fails to "make it right", then cry. Sounds like he's standing by his work, which is all any of us can do.

17. Make sure that part is actually aluminum, there are some alloys that melt at REALLY low temps. If I remember right, powder coat cures around 400, that shouldn't be a problem for most alloys, but if they're trying to burn something off or somebody ran the oven too hot, zinc based parts will distort or melt. I wasn't there, so I can't say what happened, but when I was an anodizer, if somebody told me it was 6061 and it turned out to be 2024, I'd call them and ask if they didn't mind if the colors wouldn't match. Know what alloy you're using and don't tell somebody it's aluminum if it's zinc-based. IT DOES MATTER. Again, I don't know what happened, but for future knowledge for anybody the reads my little rant, THIS SHIT IS IMPORTANT. Know your materials.

I hope it goes well for you, it sounds like the guy wants you and your friends as customers.

18. I own a powder coat shop and it sounds like they have a "burn off" oven to remove powder coat which can get up to 1000 deg. Doubt if it got ruined by heating to even 800 deg. (depending on metal) If they used B12 or B17 chemical powder coat stripper (which we use) they may have ruined it by leaving it in to long. This is some super nasty shit that will disintegrate aluminum and other metals if left in to long. I know a shop that put a high dollar alum bike frame in a B17 bath over night and in the morning the frame was completely eaten away! You said it "sounded" like they tried to bake it off? It is possible they tried to chemically remove the coating maybe and ruined it? Also it may be pot metal not aluminum? Powder coat can be hard to remove by blasting. Good luck!