Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods potvin blower on street driven vehicles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Apr 25, 2014.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

I'm thinking not very practical for the street but MAYBE somebody's done it? they block the water outlets, don't they? anything is possible!

Potvinguy likes this.
  2. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's a guy on tbucketeers.com that did it.

4. Wasn't there a Street Rodder or maybe Rod & Custom editor that was building a Model A roadster and planning a Potvin setup? Can't remember who...

Steve

5. 62rebel

62rebel

wow... nothing's beyond HAMB capability.... not such a stretch of my imagination after all!

6. Clark

Clark

Larry Erickson did it on a 32 Chevy roadster....very cool car but a little too modern
    Clark

7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

There is a stude in sandiego area running one the end of it is almost to the grill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  8. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Other than the length and the engineering required to for a cooling system that works, why would it be any less practical than any other blower? I don't know if they are less efficient because of the length of the air travel, but they sure look cool in the right project. I can see a track nose t...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. 62rebel

62rebel

now there's an idea with some merit..... excellent!

10. khead47

khead47

Only problem is being stuck with 1 to 1 drive ratio.

11. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I think a blower could be mounted Potvin style and gear or chain driven to get a different ratio. Any reason why that wouldn't work?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. sdluck

sdluck

With today's gearbox as someone s
    d for industrial setup or chain drive,I would think it shouldn't be to hard else stated

13. sdluck

sdluck

sorry should be as some one else stated.

14. Clark

Clark

I had a potivin style Italmcanica blower for a flathead. It was chain driven.
    Clark

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

A car showed up at PBA last year in Meridan, CT. with one in front of a SBC..Had some type of blow through fuel injection [mounted at the heads] and was very throttle responsive as he was demonstrating it pretty hard..All fabbed car with aluminum skin over tube frame/roll cage...Of course no camera and too stupid to remember that my phone would have worked..duh..

16. Cshabang

Cshabang

A car showed up at PBA last year in Meridan, CT. with one in front of a SBC..Had some type of blow through fuel injection [mounted at the heads] and was very throttle responsive as he was demonstrating it pretty hard..All fabbed car with aluminum skin over tube frame/roll cage...Of course no camera and too stupid to remember that my phone would have worked..duh..

That car was handbuilt by Andrew Murray, whos is a very talented fabricator. He built the the whole car, including the blower set up

17. 26T

26T
    from Denver

I have a flathead with a 3-71 crank mounted I'm building. There are no belts to drive the generator/waterpump/fan so you are forced to run an alternator off rear end/electric fan/electric water pump which bring it out of HAMB territory. That is why I have never posted pictures of mine. The one that uncommon engineering builds has belts but in my opinion doesn't look at all like the original and still needs an electric fan. All of the street driven ones I have are EFI as well.

18. 26T

26T
    from Denver

Here is the Andrew Murray car.

Attached Files:

19. Potvinguy

Potvinguy
    from MSP, MN

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Somebody made a gear box that went between the blower and the engine and you could change gear ratios. It used the same gears as a model A quick change. (narrow 6 spline) I saw it in the late 50's.

21. If its the guy in Tx. he didnt leave it on very long, went back to blower on top if I remember right.

22. Potvinguy

Potvinguy
    from MSP, MN

I'm the guy in TX, but now in MN. Have swapped the Potvin/EFI and the B&M/carb inductions several times when I get bored. Potvin is running great with FAST EZ-EFI. Just did 600 miles round trip to T-bucket Nats in Green Bay, WI.
    Any questions re Potvin on street I can answer.

23. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty sure this is the car. I saw it a few years ago at BTT50's and you're right, it's cool even though it is O/T. The front-drive Potvin blower was about the first thing I noticed. Hood was closed so have no idea how it was set it up but they must have made it work....

[​IMG]

24. Potvinguy

Potvinguy
    from MSP, MN

The Potvin is just a 671 blower. The tricks are getting the fuel into the engine (the oldtimers used mechanic fuel injection or carbs on the blower intake), and finding places for the radiator, water pump and alternator. I use port EFI so only air goes thru the blower, the radiator and an electric water pump are in the back, and the alternator runs off the driveshaft under the car. Other than the crummy EFI available 20 years ago, it was not too hard.

25. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Potvinguy...
    If that's your ride in your Avatar...?
    I wanna see s'more of that setup!...Looks really slick!
    Picture's please?
    Setup?
    EFI!...Setup? Any spray before the blower for cooling?
    Pressure Control?

Mahalo
    Tommy

26. Potvinguy

Potvinguy
    from MSP, MN

lonestar395 and rod1 like this.
  27. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Cool!...Nice setup!

Don't tell anyone here...EFI makes a setup like this work on the street.

Mahalo
    Tommy