Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Potential Project Opinions and Carb Info.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coyote56, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Coyote56

Coyote56

Ok, so the purpose of this thread is at least two-fold: to get information for a possible build, and opinions from the master craftsman that consist of the hamb.
    First, the brief backstory: I was recently cleaning a scrap bin at my job and found three carburetors in the bottom. So I took them home to try to identify them, and dream about what I can do with them. So dream I did.. and that's were this thread comes in.
    I'm hoping someone can help me nail down for sure what these are. I'm fairly certain they are Holley 94's. Two of them have 91-99 stamped into one side, the third has 8ba. All three have Ford stamped into the other side. My question: does somebody make a rebuild kit for these? Are they worth saving? Can all three be run together, or just the two 91-99's? Can they even be used on a car?
    Second, I read they may have come off of a Y-block ford. Is this true? How easily can one find a motor like this? I am interested in locating one eventually, if I can find a manifold to run these. And if they can be rebuilt relatively cheaply. I'm not worried about power (the car would just be a cruiser), but cost of parts could be a concern.
    Ok, and this brings me to the opinion part of the thread. The car I am considering for this is unique, to say the least. I located a relatively complete Kaiser Manhattan in Colorado. While I may not end up with that exact car, Kaiser's do at least intrigue me. So here's a quick run down of my build plan: '53 Kaiser 4-door, 292 (or so) Y-Block Ford, 2 (or 3) Holley 94's. 3 speed manual, steel rims, smoothie hubcaps. What say you?
    Thanks for the feed back. Eventually I plan to add a sketch of the car, along with a pick of the real one, and maybe a few of the carbs.
    Thanks in advance!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Pictures will help a LOT.

3. Coyote56

Coyote56

Ok, here are the pictures of the Kaiser, and my pencil sketch of the idea. The carbs will have to wait, as they are out in my truck, and its SNOWING!! Guess I'm just lazy. Hope these work!

Shotgun Rod & Kustoms

Attached Files:

4. carbking

carbking

The 91-99 carbs are pre-WWII and came with the extended throttle shaft (for a hand throttle).

The 8BA is post-WWII and came with the shorter shaft (no provision for hand throttle on the shaft).

Many doing a progressive 3x2 will use 2 of the later carbs as end carbs, with an earlier carb (with the extended shaft) as the center; as the extended shaft makes linkage easier.

If you wish to use them, matching either another 91-99 or a couple of 8BA carbs would be fairly easy; and repair kits and other parts are certainly readily available by mail order.

Jon.

5. Coyote56

Coyote56

Thanks for the info!
    But that poses a few other questions.
    Can I run the combination I have now? (two 91-99's and one 8ba?)
    Are there rebuild kits for these?
    As they are quite rusty, are they worth rebuilding?
    Thanks again,
    Jake S.

6. carbking

carbking

Quote "Can I run the combination I have now? (two 91-99's and one 8ba?)"

You would be able to run them, although linkage would be somewhat more difficult, assuming they are rebuildable.

Quote "Are there rebuild kits for these?"

Yes

Quote "As they are quite rusty, are they worth rebuilding?"

Don't know, as Fred posted earlier, pictures might help; but that determination may need to be made locally. Is there an older mechanic locally whose opinion you would trust?

Jon.