Register now to get rid of these ads!

Post-mortem restoration? Yes or No?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brad2v, May 25, 2010.

1. brad2v

brad2v

Yup, pretty weird title. My problem is this. I unexpectedly lost my father-in-law last week. He was restoring a '57 Pontiac more-door, putting together a clone of his first ride, and the car he courted my mother-in-law in. The car is awful close, floors are done and in paint, bodywork nearly done except a prime and block session. Chassis and engine are not done, still assembled. Option one is to roll the chassis under the body, gather up the parts and unload it. First thought is, it's a 4-door, six cylinder, 3 on-the-tree car, I don't want it. Plus, I've got my own projects, and I don't have the space. Well, I got to thinkin' on the 12 hour drive home after the funeral, I'd sure want somebody to finish it if it were mine, especially considering what it meant to him. I loved the grouchy old bastard. But, the car's worth next to nothing as it sits, but it ain't worth a pile done either, at least not in terms of dollars, but sometimes things aren't about dollars. I dunno what to do, what is your guy's take?

2. What does the mother-in-law want? Or your wife? Even perfectly restored, it won't bring much money. Unless someone with loads of cash says, "Just like the one I had in high school!"

3. Finish it for your mother in law. Then she can remember the grouchy old fart.

4. If you have the room and ability, finish it and take the mother in law for a ride. That's basically a '57 Chevy chassis, it shouldn't be too bad as far as parts to redo what needs redoing and put the whole works back together.

5. brad2v

brad2v

It's a Canadian Pontiac, so it's basically ALL Chevy underneath, including a 261" six. The wife is cool with it, I haven't run the idea by the mother-in-law, as she has bigger fish to fry at the moment. I have the ability, the space not so much, but I'm working on that one.

6. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

You should take this as a chance to "do unto others", you said it yourself you'd want someone to finish it if it was yours..... I mean if you have the skills and the knowledge why not build it and give it to a family member that would really appreciate it, Mother-in-law? someone else? I dont know but it sounds like a pretty cool opportunity to me...

7. I'm currently redoing a '55 Ford Fairlane 4 door, most common of all '55 Ford body styles, 272 2 barrel and 3 on the tree, not worth a lot as it sits and won't be worth what I have in it when finished, but my parents bought it new at Drake Motor Co. right here in Rockmart GA. I learned to drive on it. It's never been out of our family. That pretty much tells you what my answer to your question is.

8. Build it up and bank the karma points! We build these toys for the love of it,spread the love brother, spread the love.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Take more time to think about it and then decide. Right now emotion clouds rational reasoning about the best thing to do. Have a meeting of the family members and decide when the time is right.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  10. F&J

F&J

There is a fair chance the mother in law has zero interest in it. ASK her, don't just assume she wants the car.

11. I agree with Ricard D. Do it for wife and mother-in-law if they show interest.

12. This is true; She may have thought, back in the day, "I like this guy, but this car is lame," Some women don't give a shit about cars. Maybe she loves it, won't know without asking.

13. brad2v

brad2v

Well guys, thanks for all the replies. we're doin' it! My wife is stoked to have an old car of her own. I leave tomorrow to re-unite the body with the chassis so I can load it on a trailer. Already thinking about inline 6 speed parts...

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool deal glad your going to build it

15. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

I was thinking something similar. Just because it's my 'dream', doesn't mean it's my wife's. Your father in law may have said it brought back memories of courting your mother in law, but he may have memories of courting other girls in the car as well. while I love my Cadillac, my wife just sees a bottomless pit that keeps her from getting a new car.

Everybody has different opinions. Sounds like you've already decided though.

Charles

16. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I think the old man said he wanted me to build it and drive it.:D On a more serious note, I've built some cool shit that didn't mean a whole lot. This build will actually mean something to you and your wife.A preety cool opportunity if you ask me. Good luck and take some pics.