Register now to get rid of these ads!

possible to build a "traditional" fenderless sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEFTY_, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 343w

343w

If you are going for the 50's-60's look I'd lift the body up just to cover the frame, also the grille to the same height, and put steel wheels on her. It is your car so build it like you want it, most of us old farts don't likum that low, since you asked......

2. rtomss

rtomss

Here's a picture of the 32' Chevy sedan I have in the works. Not really shooting for a specific era, but I'd call it traditionally inspired. Maybe it has more of a "Lakes" feel, but it's a hot rod. Trying to nail a specific era is hard...different things were done in different areas. Plus, alot of it is/was a matter of taste. Go with what you have or have access to....you'll be happy, that's all that matters.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  3. 48bill

48bill

Traditional 2 doors.

Attached Files:

4. jimstro16

jimstro16

That black 32 with the white walls and spokes is bad ass!!!

Why do some think a 32 with spokes is not correct? Because somewhere along the lines someone MAY have changed them to steelies?

I like it with the wheels it came with

5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG]

way back my friend owned this car !

6. Jtg-3

Jtg-3
    from Huron Ohio

Gents ,
    from a fkng new guys visual perspective, if you look at the racer with the hood , not only is it chopped/channeled, it"s obviously sectioned, the wheel well radius of the quarter panel almost touches the body belt line.....compare it to the blue sedan in a later post.... they took a lot out ....

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Key word "racer".

8. Lefty_

Just a few things after reading this thread, please don't cut off those steering arms!

Items like the stock forged spindles with the steering arms intact are what makes the overall build of the car. There are ways we can alter and move things around to make it all work together.

[​IMG]

Small block Fords are sort of a "new" thing and are going to be difficult to integrate into a cohesive build, but it is possible to do. I agree with most of the guys here on the wires, by the time anyone was using an SBF wires were long forgotten.

I would also try and talk you into raising the car just a bit and shortening the wheel base to about 112 to 115. It helps the overall proportion of the car. Also changing the rear fender well and a narrower rear axle helps eliminate the rat rod image that so many here are so against. Quite frankly I agree with them on that.

But ultimately this is your car and it should be built as you see fit.

This great lady came to me years ago wanting to build pretty much the car you have, but ended up with something that won't be dated as a 20teens rat rod.

[​IMG]

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

This one is from the 50's and everybody loved it. They had grafted a couple of '40 hoods to the front. It used to run at Lions all the time.

[​IMG]