Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Possible Shoebox Ford Trunk Hinge Source

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AKGrouch, Oct 14, 2015.

1. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Well, I was told that the hinges on the trunk of my 31 Ford coupe came off of a 49, 50, or 51 Ford. They need to be rechromed and there are no chrome shops in Alaska now thanks to the EPA and the used ones I found on ebay were over $100 a pop and the right and left are different. They also didn't look any better than my current hinges and all needed a new chrome job.. About a month later after I had about resigned myself to just living with the old hinges, I was sitting at the Hot Summer Nights car show in Palmer Alaska with my coupe when a Factory Five Cobra pulled in next door. A little later I noticed that his trunk hinges looked somewhat like mine. I took a closer look. The hinges on his trunk looked almost identical to the ones on my coupe!!!! Not having a tape or ruler with me, I grabbed the next best thing......a dollar bill and measured away..........Eureka!!!! They were the same. I then looked on the Factory Five website for new chromed hinges and found that the had my hinges for a measly $36.00 for a PAIR OF THEM!!!.. That price included all the mounting hardware and the body gaskets too!! Needless to say, I bought a pair and they are identical to what is on my coupe.

So, any of you that are looking for trunk hinges for an older Ford, check them out. You simply cannot beat the price.

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

49 , 50 and 51 Fords all used different hinges , but I was intrigued, so I went to their website. It appears that the hinges look a whole lot like 49 Ford hinges. Nothing to compare size wise, but very interesting ... Says they're unavailable though :(

3. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

My recollection was that I want to say the guy said they were from 49 but I wasn't sure.. I got the last set that Factory Five had but they said they have them on order and will have more. I compared them to the hinges on my coupe and they appear to be identical. Cheap price to pay for freshly chromed hinges rather than ratty looking ones.

4. If they are a bolt on and look like original, I'd say it's a no-brainer. Doubt you could get originals chromed for 36 bucks.

5. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

That's why I shared my source with everyone here......definitely a no brainer.......