Register now to get rid of these ads!

Posi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fleetliner, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

I just got a G.M. 10 bolt 8.5" limited slip casting #410408. Can any one tell me if the clutch friction plates should have a coating on them. The friction plates in the unit have swirl marks all over. The tab parts seem darker and the wear surface is brighter metal. Looks like it might of had a friction coating that has worn off. Just want to check to see if they can be run as is or if I need to replace the clutch pack before installation.

2. Are you talking the steel plates? the tabs wil be darker as they dont get touched by the clutch plates. The swirls are likely from someone surfacing them/like with sandpaper or rough scotch brite) to get rid of the polished surface after years of use. If the plates with the clutch material are on them are in good shape and the springs have good tension, probably good to run. You can check the break-away torque but need some special tools or ingenuity...

Hans

3. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

The friction plates with the tabs are covered with tiny swirl marks that are machined in. They look like the swirl designs used on old hypnosis drawings that spin to the middle when rotated and they are all over both sides of the plates.

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

The 8.5" GM rearend # 410408 is a Traction Lock Limited Slip (posi) differential known as the 3 series. All were 28 spline. Without pictures, some one could have installed a Eaton Posi (better posi IMO).

6. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

I was able to show it to a local rebuilder and found out the plates are good to go. Thanks for the help.