Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Portland Oregon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hodges, May 11, 2017.

1. hodges

hodges
    from Indiana

I'm looking for a car clubs in Portland? Need a couple people that like to drive cool cars.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might put Indiana in your header or you are going to get a bunch of suggestions for Portland Oregon and a few for Portland Maine. First time I ever heard of Portland Indiana but there are about five more of that name in different states yet.
    Actually more than I thought:
    United States

kiwijeff and Blacktop VooDoo like this.
  3. hodges

hodges
    from Indiana

Sorry it is Portland Oregon

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slo Poks are in Vancouver, WA right across the river from Portland (more rain, less rioting)
    Pharaohs are in Portland, I know a few of the guys, cool folk.
    The Estranged, they're on the HAMB

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Known as one of the oldest car clubs in the country.
    Also known as a club that is not easy to join unless you are "sponsored".

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And you need to have every Friday evening free for "alley night" for an entire year so you can serve beer and sweep up the peanuts. o_O
    I'm married, Friday nights are often date nights. My wife also like to travel so I'm gone a lot on Fridays. Result: They are missing out...not me. :cool:

8. drttrkcwby

drttrkcwby

I'm from Portland, have some old cars. Would be fun to meet up with like minded portland people and hang out!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm headed out on Vaca but "I'll be back" when I do lets do a beaches thing one Wednesday night. We can invite all the local HAMB memebrs and get the band back together.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Gotta know what's in the cooler before I can commit:confused:

Tim_with_a_T and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Ok, it's been 40 years since I've lived in Portland but the Rose City club use to hang out at The Speck burger joint at 50th and Foster in S.E. Portland. Some very nice cars.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Went to the "last cruise" at the Speck sometime in the eighties, funny thing though, IIRC, they had another one a year later.

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Hodges,

Portland is one of those places that just feels like home. Sure, it is a wet spot in the Northwest, but the whole city and environs make it a classic city to live and play. (in the total number of 26 days on those three trips up there for us, there were at least 22 days of sunshine!) As an outsider from So Cal, it took about 4 days to get used to the 4 major divisions in the whole city plan. There were some great places to visit in each section of the city.

Of course, like any big city, it has some funky places as well as very cool neighborhoods where an old house with a yard fits right into the community. We did see some cool looking hot rods and trucks in almost every quadrant of the city.

The main thing to remember is that all big bridges over the Columbia River lead into and out of the city from the northern shore. Vancouver, Washington, just across the river, is a little funky town that has its charms as well.

One thing about traffic is that it is the same in every city as far as what time to be on the major freeways or roads. We got caught coming back from the southwest outlying areas of Portland and actually found a parallel road that allowed us to not be on the freeway rush hour and still get to our Vancouver, Washington digs.

“Touristy” things? One of the best things is the long drive all along the shores of the Columbia River Eastward. There was one destination we had to take that was a little over 100 miles out to the Maryhill Winery and concert music venue. The trip normally takes almost two hours. Ours took over 4 hours because of all of the stops along the river for the major historic sites and big waterfalls. We were on the south side going up and the north side coming back to Portland. What a drive and scenery.

There were a couple of hot rods, a coupe and sedan, that were powering up the I-84 up and the 14 back to Portland. One lowered truck just hugged the winding roads to the Bonneville dam area. It was a neat drive, with the mighty Columbia River flowing at speed towards the ocean. Want to watch frustration on the water? Just watch the sailboats fight the massive, fast flowing current…an exercise in going nowhere fast.

This was the third visit in over a spread of 10 years. The first trip was to come up for the famous Portland Roadster Show and the neighboring swap meets. (included in this trip were the San Juan Islands to the north, a crossing the Columbia River at Astoria and following it all the way to Portland. )

This whole country side is rich with old cars just sitting around, rusting. Another trip was to see the huge Antiques Show and Sale in the same area near the freeway and the Columbia River.

This last time was just being a tourist on a lazy two week vacation. We did see an abundance of hot rods and trucks driving all over the city. But like all cities, there were certain times that traveling was just a walk along the Columbia River, instead of fighting the traffic on the major roads.

Jnaki

We found several houses in the outlying areas of Portland. If it is anywhere we want to live other than So Cal, it is here. The problem is, if I don’t keep a sharp eye, my wife will pack all of our stuff and move us to Portland.

One thing that will hold us up is that she does not like the cold, but, on the other hand, she can buy a whole new wardrobe…yikes. But, a hot rod cruising around that long river and nearby forested areas would be pretty fabulous.

Favorite places:
    Downtown: Powells Bookstore and the original, Voodoo Donuts

Northwest: Meriwether’s Restaurant

Northeast: McMenamin’s Kennedy School

Southwest: Grochau Cellars

Southeast: a walk down the Williamette River Trail

SIDE TRIPS:

Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Kalama High School, anywhere along the Columbia River…

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jnaki

Curious as to where you visited on the SW side of PDX as that is where I live.
    BTW, every time my wife and I have tried to get into Voodoo Donuts there was a line down the sidewalk, crazy.

Keep Portland Weird.

jnaki likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sheeeeiiiittt!!!!. There's a reason we don't talk about this area with outsiders. Forget what he said, this area sucks!. Stay away!. Save yourselves!

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Govnah McCall used to say:

"We want you to visit our State of Excitement often. Come again and again. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live. Or if you do have to move in to live, don't tell any of your neighbors where you are going."
    -- Tom McCall

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Move along, nothing to see here. Just move along

18. jnaki

jnaki

Hey DDD,

We visited the small marina on the Willamette to see the size limitation of slips and availability on power boats. Then, walked the waterfront park area and later found a street that was packed with food carts.

Then we drove down past SW area to Woodburn Outlets. (can’t go anywhere without shopping!) On one other day, we spent the day driving and visiting several wineries in the McMinville Area (North on 99) back to Portland.
    upload_2017-5-20_15-47-46.png ate at Dundee Bistro
    upload_2017-5-20_15-54-2.png upload_2017-5-20_15-54-17.png
    upload_2017-5-20_15-54-39.png Dobbes Winery
    Jnaki
    When we got back to downtown Portland, we thought it would be a good time (2 pm) to get a couple of famous Voodoo Donuts and coffees to sit by the Willamette River for a relaxing afternoon. Who the heck eats donuts at 2 pm? Were we in for a surprise. The whole city was crazy with the World Cup Soccer that was playing on every TV in every restaurant or diner. The bars/parking? Forget it, the rabid fanatics were pouring out in the street right around the corner from Voodoo Donuts. So, we spent the afternoon at the huge Powell’s Bookstore.

As quaint as the winery area was, there were a few hot rods cruising around. It was great driving weather and the scenery was pretty nice, too.

upload_2017-5-20_15-57-53.png upload_2017-5-20_15-58-4.png

Early Ironman likes this.