Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Portland Oregon area wildfire (Eagle Creek Fire)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karl Wescott, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Karl Wescott

Karl Wescott

There is a major wildfire about 20-30 miles northeast of us coming out of the Columbia River Gorge. Areas of east Multnomah County are under "get out now!" evacuation notice (level 3) or precautionary (level 2 or 1).

If anyone needs emergency storage for a collector car, RV, boat etc we have about 2 acres of area available. My personal cell number is 503-eight oh six- 1801. 19701 SE Highway 212, Damascus OR.

This is a really dangerous fire fueled by the wrong conditions that could break out of the forest into inhabited areas. If you know someone in the affected areas let them know.

Karl

egads, nomobux, Oilguy and 11 others like this.
  2. We're getting ashes falling down here the Seattle area.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy and rjones35 like this.
  3. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

BTT
    lots of smoke here

Stogy likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fire above cascade locks.jpg
    Photo above of the fire above Cascade Locks.
    Fire   Jeremy Scott photo.jpg Fire   Jeremy Scott photo.jpg

This is that fire in a photo taken from the Washington side by a young gent named Jeremy Scott. I am sitting in Yakima and the smoke here is the worse I have seen it anywhere in 70 years. You can't see Yakima Ridge across from the airport terminal due to the smoke.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Stogy likes this.

5. Terrible, We could probably help with some storage also if someone is is need.

AndersF and Chris like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This is a big one folks, you see those TV reports about fires in other areas and think how lucky we are then it's your turn.
    We woke up to ashes and light smoke this morning and now the smoke has gotten so bad here on the SW side of Portland we can hardly go outside.
    Fingers crossed for everyone in the Columbia River Gorge.

Chavezk21 and Stogy like this.
  7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Best wishes to all you folks out there!

mario711 likes this.
  8. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

We're on the west side of Portland, we have smoke and ash falling kind of like snow flurries. I hope everyone over in the Gorge comes out okay.

Stogy likes this.
  9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I have fought a lot of range fires in my ranching days and a very little in the trees, it is never very much fun. Fire is scary as hell when the flames are 50 ' high and wind whipped. Hope all are safe. That water in Texas and now maybe Florida makes me shudder.

Stogy likes this.
  10. If you are getting ashes falling you are in danger of having a fire break out. The biggest threat during a wild fire is a situation called 'ember intrusion' where burning embers are thrown off a fire and ignite some distance away. Perhaps surprisingly they can travel for long distances given the circumstances. For example, several years back there was a fire outside Placerville, CA. It burned so hot and intense that burning material was thrown into the lower atmosphere. There were then reports of burning oak leaves falling in Truckee, CA. My point is that as long as there is fire material falling keep a close look out for live flames falling.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck to you all down there...terrible stuff...Good on those offering help all I can do is hope for safety for you all.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well, I think most of you know how big the Columbia river is, they are reporting fires now on the Washington side that are attributed to airborn embers, not good.

jnaki, Stogy and Gary Reynolds like this.
  13. I feel your pain out there.......any fire is terrible. We here in Western Montana have had fires all around us for months now. I have never seen it this bad.
    Stay safe...

Stogy likes this.
  14. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea the hot embers could travel that far. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for that now. We have a big grass field.

Stogy and Gary Reynolds like this.
  15. cometman98006

cometman98006

It was hot today but we never saw the sun due to the smoke in the atmosphere. Had ash dropped everywhere. Been in the Seattle area all my life and don't remember it being this bad.

Stogy and Gary Reynolds like this.
  16. iwanaflattie and Stogy like this.
  17. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I took this pic today, and no, that's not fog you see in the pic. You could see a small ball of light, that's the sun.. Been smoky here for almost a month now and I'm literally sick of it. In the last few weeks there have been fires from as far south as So Cal to as far north as BC Canada and inland as Montana.
    The local fire crews here in Southern Oregon say that they're "managing" the fire, not "fight" it or try to put it out. To possibly make matters worse, there's a chance of thunder and lightning in the next couple of days. I don't think all these fires are coincidence, but hell, what do I know?:rolleyes:

IMG_20170905_190702296.jpg IMG_20170905_170256767_HDR.jpg

RMR&C, Stogy and Gary Reynolds like this.
  18. Lil32

Lil32

So sad, best of luck
    we toured that area before we headed to L A Roadster Show 2017
    wonderful country

19. It sucks alright, but good on you Karl and Rockets hot rod garage for your offers of storage.

RMR&C, egads and AndersF like this.
  20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you for offering storage Karl Wescott and Rockets Garage! That could really help someone out.

Smoke in the Wenatchee Washington area has heavy for a couple weeks now. The last two days visibility has been down to about 1 mile. It is becoming routine to have smoke linger in our area from July to October. Even though most of the fires are many miles away they still have an effect on your quality of life. We may not get tornadoes or hurricanes here but we have our wild fires and our fires started by humans that are too careless or have an unforeseen accident that start them.

I am still planning on a trip to Walla Walla this weekend for a car show. It may be a little clearer there but I doubt it as there are so many fires in the North West US and British Columbia Canada that it seems the whole state is covered in an ash blanket.

21. My Granddaughter is in Vancouver and says she has a little room too. Even for a house guest if necessary.

Catch me here and I'll hook you up.

AndersF likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a fiend that lives on the river just west of Stevenson. The fire blew across the Columbia about 3 miles West of her home. The West wind pushed it toward Washougal and away from her. She took this crappy photo with her phone from her deck
    upload_2017-9-6_10-58-43.png
    She has been to the fire line a few times with food for the firefighters from their neighborhood. They have no route out as the hi ways on both sides of the river and the Bridge of The Gods in closed. Even river traffic is now closed. The neighbors with boats have them tied up at their houses so they have an escape route if the wind shifts.

This morning in Vancouver our air quality has greatly improved meaning the winds are blowing East which may be bad news for her unless they contain it.

The Oregon side of the river is in the most trouble. I heard this morning the fire is approaching the Vista house on the Scenic Hwy. A lot of devastation for a senseless act. Even better I heard the teens were from Vancouver o_O Great.

Stogy likes this.
  23. The girl called last night and said all that is left at Multnomah Falls is the old inn and they are protecting that. I wonder if the observatory got it, I forgot to ask.

tractorguy likes this.
  24. Just saw a vid of a fire guy who drove the closed part of the freeway ( or side ) and said from the road , the Gorge looks normal and not a wasteland like you'd imagine.
    I'm about 15 miles as the crow flys from the Jolly Mountain fire. It's now at 25,000 acres and 0 containment. Smoke is gettin old.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a recent update,
    upload_2017-9-6_11-23-8.png

Stogy likes this.
  26. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

@Bandit Billy (I'm in SE Vanc. near Camas) much better today but still bad, tons of ash everywhere even INSIDE the garage. Not near as much smoke. This is a huge disaster and all because of inconsiderate kids.

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  27. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Eugene has been covered with smoke. We are starting to get a break, but it won't last long. many folks wearing face masks since particulate levels are off the charts. The sun looks like a harvest moon. Bad fire year in Oregon.

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a mess. I live in Battle Ground and it is everywhere. My patio furniture looks like I had a chain smokers party out there. Going to have to spend a weekend with the pressure washer when this is over. No where near the mess Mt. St. Helens produced. I'm so proud the stupid kid is from the 'couve...not.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  29. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  30. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

[​IMG]

I'm in Vancouver and work over in Hillsboro- ash and smoke everywhere. If someone needs it, I have a long driveway to be used as temporary storage and could probably clear out some junk in the garage for a medium-small car. Hope everyone stays safe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AndersF, Stogy and Hotrodmyk like this.