Register now to get rid of these ads!

Portland, ME Transmission shop???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir X Loin, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

Just throwing this out there...

I have a 61 Chevy with the stock 3 speed gearbox. I've adjusted the linkage 6 ways to sunday and have determined that I may have an internal problem. I'm not from this area and have never delt with any local transmission shops. I really dont want to get soaked.

If anyone has any experience with shops in this area, please let me know.

The car drives, but gets hung up coming out of 1st.

2. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I'd ask one of the street rod guys from that area or try one of the roundy round dirt racers that run at Beech Ridge Speedway. They all use three or four speeds. You could call Back Bay Customs in Portland and ask them also. Good luck from Camden, Maine

3. pitman

pitman

Stop by Ray Tourigney's Extreme Auto, a good custom building shop, they'd likely recommend someone. NW Portland.

4. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

Are you refering to Extreme Rod and Custom? Im pretty sure thats the same place as Back Bay Customs. I've never stopped in there, but their work on Facebook, looks awesome.

I'll make a post on the Down East Street Rods facebook page too, I didnt think of that. I dont want to just take it anywhere that say "transmission" on the sign.

5. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Yes, I would def ask around some of the local guys....you might want to contact some other hamb members in Maine ......there is always Butler and Macmaster Auto motive in Hallowell, they build kick ass engines and do rearends also, they may know who to refer you to.

6. George/Maine

George/Maine

I have a 68 chevy 3 speed it maybe the same,also have a 77 chevy 3 speed.

7. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

Unfortunatly, they are different, due to the closed drive line.

8. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

Thanks. I've ben in Maine for a few years, but dont get out much. I have little ones and usually miss all the good shows.

9. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Pm sent with contact info for a local guy close to you.

10. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Back Bay Customs is the Old Extreme Rod/Custom My buddy Johnathen owns it. Ray used to run the shop for them (he chopped my 54), Rays also a good friend of mine too, PM me if you want his number.
    I wouldnt use New England Tran in Portland. I got soaked by the by them the month before I moved, what a run around I had. Now 1.5 years later the trans need to come out and be rebuilt.

11. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Go visit Lewiston Transmissions in Lewiston , Maine. Blane Akerly is the owner and a 40 year street rodder himself. All the local street rodders go to Blane.

12. George/Maine

George/Maine

I think its in your colume shift.If you look under the truck I think you will see a drive shaft,and not enclosed.I would get a floor shift kit.

13. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thats a good point George, I think we all got caught up on the tranny shop thing and not on the actual tranny problem!

Its good to see the Maine fellas all chatting here!
    (former Mainer...now SoCal'r):)

14. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

Thanks for the replies guys. The Tranny is in my 51 Styleline coupe. The truck in my avatar isn't mine anymore. The driveline is enclosed. 216/3speed/4:11 rear. All stock.

It very well could be the linkage. I replaced the shift bushings and have adjusted the linkage quite a bit. The issues dont happen on every 1st-2nd shift. only 40% of them. It will hang in fist and eventully I can get it into neutral.

I was told to increase my decrease my clutch my clutch free play. and see how that works.

The P/O told me he always had a problem with 2nd gear. by the looks of a few things on the car, he didnt adjust anything.. (another story)

I'v only had the 51 a few weeks and am just getting things sorted.

Im in my mid/late 30's so old school trannys are new to me! I'd really like to keep in on the column, but going with the floor shift may have to happen.

More than anything, I want a second opinion on what I have gathered..

Thanks again ya crazy Mainahz!
    -brian