Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Porting 283 Power Pak heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr Nilsson, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Mr Nilsson

Mr Nilsson
    from Sweden

Yes, I know 305 heads are so much better and Vortecs are the best, bla bla bla... Not interested in that conversation.
    As you know, there was a time when PP heads was the best you could get and they built screaming 283's (or 292's/301's) even though they never heard of double humps, vortecs, or aftermarket heads.
    I got a extra set of Power pack heads which needs new valves and some machine work, so I thought I might as well port them and see if I could get some improvement over my stock PP heads.
    Question: do you know any articles from back in the day about porting Power pack heads? Or do anyone of you have any info on how much material there is in them?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Raunchy

Raunchy

I think some cleanup in the bowl area would probably help you. Lots of videos and info on the net about that. But the valve size is going to limit you so hogging out the ports is not going to help much. Just do a gasket match on your heads and intake and maybe polish out the exhaust side. Swirl polished or undercut valves could help flow.

Montana1 and 30tudor like this.