Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Portable multifunction Plazma welder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ulu, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

http://www.multiplaz.com

Has anybody seen one? They supposedly demo'd in a Detroit show last week.

For $2k, this little booger purports to do everything & save money doing it.

Clean welding with no gas or flux? It cuts stainless & welds copper.

It cuts tile and bricks???

Guys I'm seriously in love here!

...and tomorrow's payday too. ;)

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It includes a free waterfront lot in Arizona, too. :D

3. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

4. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I know! It sounds too good to be true.

5. COOL! I love lake Havasu!:D

6. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Okay...I look at the linked attachments.........I'm interested to know more.
    Somebody in the USA importing these?

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

China??? :eek: I thought the text in the links said they came from Russia.......
    I trust Russian Commies more than Chinese Commies! o_O

9. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There seems to be some pretty amazing welding machines coming out of China lately. I am looking at an "Everlast" stick/TIG combo that can be had in either 140 or 200 amp versions, with the smaller one usable on both 110 and 220 volts. They come with a 5 year warranty and have very poistive reviews from American users and on some of the welding forums. The 140 amp version is a lift-start TIG, while the 200 is a scratch start. I wouldn't be so hasty as to dismiss these out of hand just because they come from China. The price? About $250.00 for the 140 and $300.00 for the 200. Like Ray, I'm going to take a closer look at this particular unit.

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

They got in 2010, so it's been around a while. Why hasn't it caught on here? IF it works?
    It would be really awkward trying to weld with a tool the size of a cordless drill, though!

12. daddylama

daddylama

I had the first version of the 140 amp... good unit. I was really happy with it, but I tend to do more oxy/fuel than tig. traded the tig off for some parts.. the dude who got the tig uses the hell out of it, trouble free.

13. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

It's $2000 and you can get an Eastwood MIG for a few hundred.

I thought this as well, but I wonder how much the torch itself actually weighs. It does look too bulky to get into really tight quarters. I don't know what happens when you hold it upside down. I don't think the water runs out like a steam iron ;) Can I weld overhead?

I think there's a dealer in Fontana, so it would be cool if one of the SoCal members would be willing to go test one out.

One thing I read said you don't need any #10 welding lens, and a brazing lens is adequate because you don't see the arc.

I did some "spray-arc" with MIG, welding A36 steel, where you used 20/80 gas and a high feed rate. When you got it right the arc changed and the process went silent as you were shooting plasma. It was eerie! Welders are supposed to buzz! That gas had oxy in it to make it work, and I never did understand why, but you could lay a bead that looked almost like stainless and the miniscule slag fell off like it was nothing.

(You could spatter and splatter like hell if you got a bad start though! That screwed up the cups and tips fast so you leaned to get it right perfect from the start of arc.)

Anyhow I imagine Plasma welding to be somewhat like that.

The Aussie guy testing one of these on the welder's forum was getting some brutal flack. I hope he continues his test & review.

14. squirrel

squirrel

This appears to be the first commercial unit, using the technology, right? It'll be interesting to see what others can come up with to make it more useful

15. krazee

krazee

I've got a combo unit, plasma, stick, tig. Plasma is 40 amp (10mm), tig 160.
    This is Chinese made, inverter technology. I've had it about 4 years and used
    it a lot, particularly the plasma. It does a neat job. No problems so far.
    Incidently the factory they are made was set up by a US company as a joint venture
    with the Chinese

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

That's actually quite common around the world, and there's been a lot of that with China since Nixon opened the door.

I don't really care if the Chinese are selling us welders and TVs and clothes. We need to promote a good and fair trade policy. It stands between peace and war among the superpowers.

But back on topic, maybe I can arrange for some sort of welding demo around here. I'm still intrigued by what this plasma tech purports to do. I was all geared up to go buy a Hobart TIG/Stick combo at the local Tractor Supply Co, since they also offer direct exchange on 2A & 80cuft Oxy tanks, which is as large as I want anyhow.

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Naah.. He's all the way out in Palm Desert. Quite a way from Fontana.