Register now to get rid of these ads!

Portable Full Sized Paint Booth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by amx180mph, Mar 22, 2013.

1. amx180mph

amx180mph

So my new shop is in a perfect location with great neighbors but is way to small for a permanent paint booth. I searched the internet for ideas but did not like them for my application. So I made my own design, my criteria was that it would be light, sturdy, easy to store, safe to use, and easy to maintain.

The materials list for a 12' X 21' is as follows

46 2x3x92 studs
    4 2x4x12
    1 Box 12' x 100' 4 mil plastic (Lowes has it)
    1 20 x 22 furnace filter
    2 1/2" Deck Screws
    4" Head Lock Screws
    Staples

I used a old furnace fan I bummed off of the local heating and ac business

Total cost 189.36

So to make the 12' wide panels I made two panels 6' wide and the full 92" stud for the height. Putting a 92" stud plus the top and bottom adds up to 95" total height. Cut four braces with a 45 degree angle cut at each end. Use 2 1/2" deck screw to screw the panels together. You need four 6' panels two for each end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added a frame to place a 20x22 furnace filter. I am going to add another filter before my next use of this booth. My fan moves too much air for just one filter and was some what choked down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sides are made up four 7' wide panels and two 6' panels. The reason for the 6' panels is one is the door and is much easier to open and close than the 7' panel. Once all the panels are built build a frame like the filter frame in the end panel opposite the filter to fit your fan into. Now add the plastic sheeting by stretching it over the sides and stapling it to the 2x3 frame. Make sure you have enough plastic sheeting pulled over the sides so it will butt up against the next panel this will make a air tight seal. Cut out the filter and fan frame then staple the sheeting around these frames.
    [​IMG]

Now put up the frames using three 4" Head Locks one near the top, one center, one near bottom to join the panels. I went ends then, one 7' panel' one 6' panel' one 7' panel. This put the door at the center. The door is the last panel using three door hinges and a hook and eye to lock door shut. Add four 2x4x12's across the top and screw them to top of the panels.
    [​IMG]

Now add the plastic across the top of the 2x4's and staple the plastic to the tops of the panels. This will finish off the roof of the booth and the booth is done. I put paper drapes on the floor I purchased from Home Depot 9 x 12 two in a package for 4.00. I stapled the drapes to the panels and the booth was sealed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted these Nascar panels with absolutely zero dirt in my paint. The booth is large enough to paint most cars and trucks I would be painting.

I used a opaque plastic that filtered the light from the shop (my shop is very bright)so I needed no additional lighting. I will need to add lights down low to do a complete paint job.

I put my fan down low added a filter to the fan output, opened the overhead door just far enough to blow out the door. My son painted the panels I was outside the booth there was zero fumes in the shop. The booth was clear of all over spray.

I took the booth down in 45 minutes and stored against the shop wall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nice thing about this booth is I can use a few panels and make it any size I want it can be a 6x6 or 7x6 or 12x6 or well you get the idea. You can modify the size for your job or shop size.

This was my first tech article I hope it makes sense.

2. Very Nice! I may have to try something like this when ever I get around to the paint and body part of my project.

Well done.

3. Ghetto booth DeLux!
    Nice!

4. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Simple and functional, that's the key. May use your idea but I had in mind some kind of plastic sheet curtian on a track hung from the ceiling. We'll see. Thanks for posting.

5. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

I did pretty much the same thing but I had to use 4 filters to get enough air so when I opened the door it wouldn't pull dust in.The first time I used it,I stepped out between coats and the fan sucked in dust.I had to stop and the next day after resanding the car and adding 3 more filters and it worked great.
    Mine was on a low speed too and it pulled everything out very well.

6. jazz1

jazz1

I have hung tarps from the ceiling for sandblasting,,use a fan and no filter just to suck the dust out...the fan and filter in AMX180's unit is critical,,,without that some bigass bug will do the death march up your freshly painted sail panel,,,,i know!

7. amx180mph

amx180mph

I installed a momentary switch at the door. The door opens fan goes off, door closes fan turns on. I open the door slow so the fan comes to a stop before I enter or exit. I am also going to add a wood router speed control to the fan so I can dial in the speed.

8. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

That's a good idea and great price. I have seen one that someone built that slid on tracks. One day I will have time to build one.

CN

9. Good idea, but I would try to get an explosion proof fan to evacuate the paint spray. I have heard horror stories about ignition from the spark from a standard fan. Thanks for posting!

10. amx180mph

amx180mph

Good point although I would think unlikely I played it safe. The fan assembly I used is brush less and the starting capacitor is separate. I extended the wires on the capacitor and mounted it outside the booth. It may not be an approved explosion proof fan but it is the same theory. The on off switch is outside the booth and the door switch is a sealed unit I bought from Graingers. There is little chance of a flash with the amount of air circulation but it is important to be safe. That is why I have not added lights yet because when I do they will be explosion proof.

11. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

2X what clean cut said sealed motor for fans