Register now to get rid of these ads!

porta saw adapted to vertical band saw

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J&JHotrods, Nov 11, 2009.

1. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

I found this on another forum and thought I would share. I've been pondering the idea of turning my porta-saw into a make-shift band saw, but didn't know where to begin. Turns out this guy is making and selling them. Looks to be an good way to have a band saw on the cheap.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748205

2. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

I bought one of these stands and Love it... I found a close out on the deep throat saw and it is now one of my favorite tools. everything works as he describes
    racinman Rick

3. i have used the portable bandsaws for years and this looks like a great idea. what a space saver.

4. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Thanks 36-3 window. I figured he was a hamb'r.

5. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I would be lost without this tool.I have been using one since 01!!!

6. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

What brand saw you guys using?

7. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

The milwaukee deep cut variable speed.New around 300 bux but you can find em at swaps and online cheaper,but i will say if you buy a new one for 3 it is money well spent.Its worth every penny.

8. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Damn, I picked up one from harbor(sic)freight not too long ago. I wasn't really in dire need of one, picked it up 'cuz it was on sale and I would have one around if I needed it. Also thinking I would get around to adapting it to something similar to what Tigman had made. Don't think I can build one that nice for that price. I hope it can be made to work.

9. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Great thanks. I recently got a Milwalkee saw. And use it everyday. I dont know what I did before I got it. Now this will make things alot easier.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd like to see how it attaches to the stand. those portabands are great tools.

we used one all the time back at my old job. I have an air powered one that a buddy found at a yard sale for only 10 bucks.

$75.00 for the stand?? I figure people who think that is cheap don't have as much scrap metal as I do.

11. carbuilder

carbuilder

I bought a simlar unit off of ebay over a year ago that saw gets used 2 to 10 times a day I cut 20 gage up to 3/8 plate with it & use bar soap as a lube. I have the milwakee say on mine Danny.

12. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

I need to get one of those for my saw. Thanks for the post.