Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Porta Power? Are They Practical??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I picked up a Porta Power type machine from Princess Auto yesterday at a very good discount. Now I'm debating whether or not they are something that could be useful for things other than straightening frames and pulling major dents. I suppose they'd work really well in a stud gun application! LOL

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think they are a tool that if you have one you’ll find a lot of use for it.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Best thing since roll up windows!

Bones

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Ok guys, suggestions for others uses other than the obvious?

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Don’t know what “ kit” you bought, but mine is a complete set made by Black hawk. With it you can pull hubs,remove king pins, pull axles, ..... it’s been twenty years since I have used it, but back in the day it did seem to come into use quite often???

Bones

deathrowdave and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Extracting T-posts from the ground, useful when you need some extra force to align something.

Had a neighbor borrow it to remove a bathroom vanity from the wall (Bathroom remodel job)

My stock car racing son-in-law borrowed it several times each season.

7. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

If you have a fabrication shop(or do any serious fab work) you will find a new & different use for it every day you open your shop door(even more so if you also got the "pull' attachment in the kit), to say nothing of the application ideas that will spring out of nowhere, especially after a difficult project is over & you suddenly realize how the porta-power would have made it so much easier!! LOL!

RMR&C and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. A Porta Power, is as necessary as an opposable thumb. I was lucky enough to buy mine at auction over 25 years ago, and purchased a number of different length jacks, a duckbill jack, and a puller that can also be used with chains, all from Princess Auto.
    As one of the other posters above stated, the uses for this tool are only limited by your imagination. It is indispensable for moving heavy items in tight places.
    Bob

9. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I moved my guest house (16' x 22') about 8 ' across the back yard with the cheapo Harbor Freight one.

'51 Norm, raven and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Great for banger racing. Those cars tend to get smaller and smaller, you need to push the metal back out again. ;)

HunterYJ and King ford like this.
  11. chopped

chopped

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Better than takin' a crap over a log! Oh, wait, you said Porter Power..

13. chrisp

chrisp

I even used mine, actually 2 of them at the same time to partially raise the roof in my house to replace some of the oak rafters.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I used one to spread leaf springs one time...worked great.

j-jock, King ford and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. They are great. My brother has one he got around 1980 at a discount tool place. Used one all the time with the stock cars. With my Ford, the cross member drops right out, getting it back in, the frame needs to be spread maybe an 1/8". It is at minimum a 2-person task since the rails are not parallel.

16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

If you have it you'll find a use for it. If you don't you'll think if I had a porta power right know it sure would be handy. I could use it right about now doing this.

King ford likes this.
  17. I have two and there something once you have them you don't know how you got along without them.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I made a fitting to screw mine into the diesel injectors on my tractor to set the opening PSI, which was something like 2K psi. Honestly, other than that I haven't used it much, I mostly use a small bottle jack and 2x4s to push stuff around.

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is one of those tools where you'll be presented with an issue and, this will be the only tool you can use to fix it. The main use I can think of is in the body realm, where you need to push or pull a panel for alignment. We just speaking to a noted builder this weekend and we were discussing decklid and tail pan fitment on an A coupe, and that he had to push the quarter out to get the new decklid to gap properly. The uses are endless

bobss396 likes this.
  20. I use them at work all the time, but I haven't used mine at home for 25 years!

21. squirrel

squirrel

It's a great to to have sitting around, if you like collecting tools. I have one now, and have borrowed one in the past. Really handy when you need it, but unless you race stock cars or run a body shop, that probably isn't very often.

scotty t and Blues4U like this.
  22. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Other than the normal bodywork type applications, Ive used mine to spread the frame rails when dropping in a Model A engine/ trans mission, spreading the rails to square up a frame jig and even made an adapter to turn mine into a pipe/tubing bender. Money well spent for me. Good Luck.

23. rule #1 with tools: buy all the tools you can afford
    rule #2: never sell a tool

05snopro440, j-jock, X-cpe and 6 others like this.
  24. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any time you pick up a hammer, ask yourself if the porta power would be a better option. If you don't already have a hydraulic press frame, build one for the PP.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. I found one very useful after someone stile my daughters Explorer and rolled it, I had never tried to jack out a roof but within a few hours the roof was fairly close to it's original shape, I also used it to get the A pillar back in place.

It's a tool you won't use often, unless your working with a wreck but you will find it valuable when you need it. HRP

26. patterg2003

patterg2003

My son has the large Princess Auto set. We have an old rental house that had a side door & window combination that was poorly installed. The house has really nice plaster detailing around the main rooms that had a couple great cracks straight up over the door. Held a 4x4 across the ceiling and used the port a power to lift ceiling until crack(s) disappeared plus a little more to load ceiling. Put in temporary posts then pulled the door & window. Carefully put in a new header and made sure it was carrying the load so it would not relax the crack. Pulled temporary supports. Cracks remained invisible. Then put in a well insulated double garden door. Preloading the beam has kept the crack closed going on 6 years. My 40 Ford has some asymmetry in the catwalk and trunk lid on one side that will need to be adjusted so a tool that I can borrow. My son has been a gear head since he could crawl and has an impressive collection of tools. He is our toolcrib.

charleyw and raven like this.
  27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yeah this is the ten ton unit. To be honest I couldn't resist the price ($149 less 30%) CDN so I went for it. Now with the voice of the HAMB encouraging me I'll say it's a Christmas gift to myself. Thanks for all the encouragement. I looked online and they all seem to be the same quality and components. Now I'll have to get educated at YouTube University...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    WB69 likes this.
  28. Latigo

Latigo

Broke out in a sweat and started shaking while reading this. I don’t have this tool and have never used one. Gotta get one now!

29. ... used to move things. Things need moving.

I endorse this message.

j-jock, winduptoy and Boneyard51 like this.
  30. Use it a lot a work for bearings/ king pins/ pulling / bending / aligning parts etc
    Again a tool that ain’t gonna be used. Lot but when you need it it’s a Godsend

Boneyard51 likes this.