Register now to get rid of these ads!

Por 15 inside a gas tank?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank

I have a model T tank that I am undecided yet if its a lost cause. I am already having to replace one end of it. Once I get it open, I'll know then how thin it is and whether to continue with it.

My question is, I have some por 15 I have not used up and wondered if it is safe to use inside a gas tank? I know they make a kit for sealing tanks, but wondered if its a different formula altogether or not. I'm just wondering how the stuff holds up to long term contact with gas.

2. TERPU

TERPU

Negative, Save yourself alot of heartache and buy a new one. They are cheap and just right already.

Tim

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

They do make a tank liner product that works damn well

4. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

5. Frank

Frank

Define "cheap". Prices I have seen for tanks were $220 plus

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

No!
    They used to recommend doing it, but so many people had problems with the POR coming unglued and clogging up the gas filters, that they stopped. The kit they now sell is the same stuff you can get from other sources...i.e. "real" gas tank sealer.

7. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

POR-15 stands for paint over rust - formula number 15
    The biggest problem is that people want to apply it over nice shiney clean steel, and it WONT STICK to shiney metal.

FWIW, clean out your gas tank with a water based cleaner. Braze any pin holes closed, and then use the proper gas tank sealer on the inside. Dont try to re-invent the wheel, these companies spend millions of dollars on R&D to find solutions that work best... It just doesn't make sense to try and save $10 on a solution that "might" work.

Also, there's a lot of us out here in the real world discovering that the 10% ethanol blended gasolines are eating thru a lot of materials that are supposed to be gasoline resistant. POR might stand up to a 10% blend, but what happens in 4 or 5 years when they start selling 20 or 30% blend???????

8. I wouldn't use it. Too much risk. There are better tank sealing products that don't cost much.

9. TERPU

TERPU

$220.00 for a tank is Cheap if you consider all the Bullshit you'll have to solve, fix, and cuss about after you weld up all the holes, pour in the sealer and cap the ends. Only to find out a month later that the weld grit didn't all get out and the ethanol or other gas additive is now eating the tank sealer and plugging up not only the filter but the carb as well. Because the stuff liquifies until it hits the little passages inside the carb and then it's like glue. Ask me how I know this stuff. $220.00 seems like a pretty good amount for it but man it's worth every penny. Two things I never skimp on are fuel systems and brake systems. Experience has taught me this, and I've driven plenty of shitboxes over the years.

Tim