Register now to get rid of these ads!

POR 15 Engine paints

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robertsregal, Mar 23, 2011.

1. robertsregal

robertsregal

Has anyone used the por 15 engine paint and exhaust manifold paint? looking for feedback on product worthyness and recomendation of success and or tips ypu used for success!

2. tony070804

tony070804

never used that before I just sprayed my frame this past weekend with their chassis coat and it sprayed well and looks great! real easy process! where a mask its pretty nasty stuff though!

3. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

I have used both...
    LOVE THE ENGINE PAINT...

but I used thier HIGH TEMP silver on a set of heads and manifolds.. while it holds up pretty good to heat... the odd thing is, it gets weird little areas of surface rust on TOP of the paint...

4. knucklepower

knucklepower
    from .

I have 5 years ago painted on engine and exhaust.Drove thousands of miles,car stands outside no special care:eek:.I drive very fast and long rods.
    The paint looks quite ok,only litle burned away on exaust. I can make pictures.

5. Toner283

Toner283

The engine paint works well, the chevy orange comes out great. The ford red SUCKS!!!! it applies really nice but when it cures it is PINK!! I had to strip that off & paint it the correct color. it was nowhere near the color of the paint sample that the salesman had. I was given cans from 3 different production runs to try and they were all the same crappy pink color.

6. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

i used black engine paint ... covered very good! look good and held up good! just like any other paint i think the key to a good job is in the prep work

7. tedster

tedster

I used their green on my flathead and their header paint also,so far very pleased.

8. I used the Hemi orange, works good, surface prep is the key.

9. I used the high temp stuff POR 20 on the lake style headers, looked great, untill I drove the flathead the first time and found most of it peeled off, went to Napa and got some cheap spray can and it's been there 5 years now!

10. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

You guys must be loaded, that stuff is pricey I guess I just too cheap

11. cederholm

cederholm

Order MG Maroon for an OT MG from the POR-15 website - the color looked like baby crap. Called them up and was sent a replacement color (red) at no charge/no hassle. The "new" red has been on the car for 6 years now. No problems.

On my 53's 235, I'm using POR-15 Metal Mask - looks like fresh cast iron - sorta.

I've been pretty happy with their products.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  12. robertsregal

robertsregal

Thanks for the input people!

13. whid

whid

i used the black engine paint and also the factory cast exhaust paint....manifolds look really nice ...havent fired the motor yet but sent the leftovers with my buddy to do his 55 and its holding up great....would definatley use both again.............whid

14. melsfine39

melsfine39

I did mine with a kit from POR. First the POR-black went on then did the POR-ford red over the black. It looks great ,had to do two coats of the red but it turned out nice. Mel:D

Attached Files:

15. Toner283

Toner283

You did a lot better than me & got a good batch of red, the 3 different cans from 3 different production runs that they gave me to try all came out pink. I finally asked for my money back. The chevy orange I used on a previous engine was great. The stuff goes on nice and flows out really well. So far the orange engine has stood up really well.

I went with different paint for my red, the pic below has the red on the block & heads but I have yet to strip & repaint the pink water pump (I could not find it when I was repainting the rest of the engine). Note the color difference.

[​IMG]

16. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

I used it on my Impala's motor. It was great both the engine kit and the manifold paint. It was on the motor three years when I sold it and it still looked like the day I put it on. :D

17. big bad john

big bad john

....My best friend Geo used it on his motor......went on nice and looks great.........my next rebuilt.....I will use it....

18. Skcollob

Skcollob
    from UK, Kambs

I've used the POR20 on v8 headers, it lasted pretty well even in the UK as a daily (bad weather, salted roads etc) but I also got the occasional spots of rust as above. Easily taken care of though.

Also used it on a bike engine and headers, that bike got used all year all weathers and was a stranger to the sponge, but the paint lasted well. Bit of minor touch up needed after a year.

Got the tin, sprays nice when thinned (used 2k thinner)