Register now to get rid of these ads!

POR 15 and EvapoRust Tank sealer questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rld14, Mar 28, 2012.

1. rld14

rld14

I have searched the archives but I guess I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Before I start, nobody is repopping tanks for these cars.

Basically, I got fucked on my '60 Lincoln's gas tank. Long story, but code enforcement got on my ass and I had to take the car to a shop (HazMat, bitch neighbor, etc..). I found a great mechanic... but...

The guy that he used to redo the rusty tank basically painted the outside of it and lied about sealing it. When we called him on it he told us he doesn't mess around with sealers. Asshole. Where we're at now is, the inside of the tank is full of rust and some bits of old sealer are floating around in it. I looked on the inside of it with a borescope today and the whole inside of the tank is surface rusted and lightly pitted from it, a quick scrape with the tip of a long screwdriver easily showed shiny steel underneath.

I have the POR 15 stuff to do the tank, namely a container of sealer and a quart of prep and cleaner. I also have 4 gallons of Evapo Rust.

So here's my thoughts... maybe someone could tell me if this will work or if I'm about to screw this all up.

Soak the tank with some paint stripper that includes MEK, I figure this, including shaking it with chain , should get the old sealant out of it. This should leave me with a merely rusty tank.

Once it's dry, soak the inside of it with Evapo Rust, turning it, etc... this should get the surface rust out of it.

Let THAT dry for a day or so.

Now I figure that I'm in better shape, so now I can start using the marine clean, then the prep and then the POR-15 tank sealer.

Does this seem like a good plan? I know that if I screw this up even a little that the sealer just won't work right and I don't want to screw it up, especially as I use this car a lot and am planning some upcoming long trips in it.

Thanks in advance.

2. grabrr

grabrr

Evap-o-rust works when the part is submerged in the stuff.
    Follow the POR 15 instructions, and it'll do an awesome job. I've used it a few times on rusty tanks.
    Should have Marine Clean, and Metal Ready.

3. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I've used the por 15 kit too. Works just fine if you follow the instructions. Make sure that if you throw chain, nuts and bolts etc into the tank to loosen the rust that you can get all those things out. I had some nuts trapped in a baffle that I couldn't get out no matter how I turned the tank. Theyr'e permanently sealed inside now.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

5. samurai mike

samurai mike

Has anyone tried molasses in the gas tank?

6. rld14

rld14

Thanks guys. Was just debating if evaporust would help do the job better.

Gonna get started on this mess tomorrow I suppose.. I'll just use the marine clean, prep and sealer.

Thanks.. Saw that actually. By the time I add in core charge, freight it's over $800 as it'd cost nearly the core charge to send my old tank back and this is still a used tank that's been sealed.

Lincoln parts prices suck... What these guys want for some stuff is scary.