Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Popular Hot Rodding also gone!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, May 31, 2014.

1. Just read that Pop rod is also ceasing publishing, what a shame.
    It's WAY more than car magazines, it's the dumbing down of society. Of course many of you will think I'm just some old crank crying "get off my lawn", but not having information in print means that it WILL dissapear, not exist...be forgotten.
    Electronic media is flimsy, transient by it's very nature, anything that doesn't make a profit for somebody will be deemed useless, and eventually just deleted.
    Be it politics, history or any aspect of culture, it will be left to a handful of media bigwigs what you will read, what will be remembered and what's forgotten. The saddest part is you will never know what you are missing.
    My two cents. It won't make any difference, and many of you won't get it at all, but say goodbye to tradition and history.

2. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

TO GARY REYNOLDS: Aman Brother!!!! Well said...............................

lawman likes this.
  3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

High performance pontiac is too. Wonder how they are going to handle.my 2 year subscription i paid for 2 months ago.. now it will be nothing but chevy mags now, oh they may throw in an article bout some other make but it will prob be chevy powered..

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

We are at a turning point in history, all of the car publications we knew and loved all our lives will soon be gone. It's only a matter of time.

Call it progress or whatever you like, however I say it is all rather sad. :(

RAZIN CAIN likes this.

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There were a bunch of titles that folded, the main thing was they lost their distribution deal with TIme, Inc.

6. frank spittle

frank spittle

Go to any major book store that carries most magazines and you will understand why so many of the magazines we grew up with have already gone or are going. They have been replaced with mags the young people like...and it ain't what we liked when we were their age. It seems to me there are more magazines in print than ever. And many are new car magazines with a nostalgia flavor....like Rodders Journal and Hot Rod Deluxe and Hemmings Muscle Machines...the ones we like and subscribe to.
    I do believe printed mags are terminal but it will be a slow death.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    lawman likes this.
  7. [ What book stores? Book stores are almost non existent.
    Amazon ISN'T a bookstore. E books aren't books.
    As I said, most of you don't get it. It's the death of the printed word i'm talking about, not just car magazines.
    People only care about their phones, shiney objects that make noises and movies where things blow up.
    History will be what Google decides it should be, you won't know the difference, and you won't care as long as you have gizmo's to stare at! That's the future.
    Good luck kids! And remember to...do what you are told!

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Glad I got a hat with my subscription. Has anyone checked on Car Craft? Probably got the boot as well.

9. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Gary, Thanks for your posts. There was a time when Americans thought that it was Horrid that Books were being burned in Germany prior to WWII. It is a Sad State that We as a People are losing Bits from Our Past and the Future does not offer much to be excited about............ Jeff

10. frank spittle

frank spittle

We have a Barnes & Noble book store near me that carries about every magazine still PRINTED.

11. George

George

Subscribed to PHR for over 20 yrs but gave up on it a long time ago when they started slipping fake articles in issues other than the April one. Plus their contests went in the toilet about the same time... "How do you improve the performance of a Sunbird(?). My submission was go with a turbocharger. They gave it to some asshat that said "Install the nuclear reactor from USS Enterprise" No warning that they were going to go Bozo on the contest. I let the subscription drop.

lawman likes this.
  12. You are right Frank ,when we were over in your part of the world we went Concorde Mills shopping centre and I was staggered by the magazines and books at the bookshop there. Btw how is the H&M history going ?

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

14. falconer63

falconer63

You hit the nail smack dab on the head. I couldn't agree more. And popular hot rodding was just a classic. My favorite 57 chevy, project x, which I followed since the 70s. Gonna miss that magazine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

lawman likes this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Well this sucks. Out of all the mags out there Popular Hot Rodding was my favorite. And falconer 63 is correct who didn't follow the project X story through all it's parts I'm a Ford guy and I still think it was one of the best series of articles ever.

lawman likes this.
  16. [QUOTE="Gary Reynolds,
    Electronic media is flimsy, transient by it's very nature, anything that doesn't make a profit for somebody will be deemed useless, and eventually just deleted.
    Be it politics, history or any aspect of culture, it will be left to a handful of media bigwigs what you will read, what will be remembered and what's forgotten. The saddest part is you will never know what you are missing.
    My two cents. It won't make any difference, and many of you won't get it at all, but say goodbye to tradition and history.[/QUOTE]...............In a bizarre way it really is censorship. The powers-that-be are in a back-handed approach determining what we read and have access to.

Model T1 likes this.
  17. Popular hot rodding, along with Street Rodder were the only US mags available where I lived back when I was a kid, I loved them. It's a pity that all these neat things that we have been so used to all our lives are disappearing. I'm not a fan of where things are heading, if I could hail a bus back to the 70's, I'de buy a ticket and jump on board. So wants to come too?

18. CruZer

CruZer

X2 on that !!!!!!!!

19. my walmart has 17 different gun magazines and not Hot Rod, let alone PHR. Pisses me off.

lawman and Model T1 like this.
  20. Well, maybe now a few more people can pony up for Alliance memberships to keep the HAMB alive.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Book stores do indeed still exist. Some are easy to find, some not so much. I do know that there's a certain "look" to the folks I see in there when I go. You can somehow tell a reader from others. But the truth is that at select times of the month I'd have to excuse myself to get at something or even sometimes wait my turn to get at the mags I wanted. Not anymore. The other sad truth is the content and perhaps the context. Long ago the articles became less about the car's mods and more about what product they used. "A Comp Cams bumpstick manages the engines thirst for fuel delivered by a 750CFM Demon Carb and Edelbrock 'air gap' intake manifold. Spent gases exit through Hooker Super Comp headers and out into a Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system." Someone building a true hot rod from salvaged parts or a true custom by mixing pieces from different cars for trim and lights and steering wheels? What do they have to offer the publisher if their car wasn't built with a credit card and telephone?

What all of us probably realize, but are in denial of, is pretty close to what was said at the beginning of this topic. Feature cars always had a little bit of brand recognition here and there but it didn't make up the entire context like so many have done now for decades. Sure, without advertisers the revenues generated have to come from actual magazine sales, and like it or not kids we are a dying breed. The market has spoken, just like the reason there's fewer scrap yards and those left operate like they do. I didn't get the memo that says I'm required by law to like and accept it, and I don't. Just be glad Ryan's not a whore to advertisers because other forums can be a pain in the ass to get through due to that. We only truly matter to each other here. Hoodlums were always a genuine minority. :cool:

22. This is bad news. Popular Hot Rodding was my favorite car mag. I have every issue since it started in June of 62'. Gary, I'm with you. I hate the direction this country is going in.

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

[/QUOTE]...............In a bizarre way it really is censorship. The powers-that-be are in a back-handed approach determining what we read and have access to.[/QUOTE]

I thought about all this junk this morning and realized that once again, PANIC is rampant in the rumor mill and we're all whining because our favorite toys are being taken away. Maybe they aren't.

Yea, in my opinion magazines are great. I love having something substantial to hold. But times are a changing. So, I'll get used to it. Just like most of you will get used to magazines being internet only.

No one's controlling what you read, they're just telling you to get the same info from somewhere else. I have not read one thing about R&C going away. Just the format I'm used to. And isn't that what Ryan does every so often? Doesn't he change the format and so far it's better every time? Well, R&C being available on the net only will suck, but just until we're used to it.

I get the New York Times on the net and love it. At the book store, the Sunday edition of the NYT's weighs about 10 pounds! It takes me a few minutes to find my favorite sections and some sections I don't even look at. So, when they went digital, I loved it.

Ask yourself this. If the HAMB was a monthly magazine, how would you feel having to wait a month or two to get an answer to a tech question? Or how about having to wait a month to find out if the folks here liked your new build or not? Event coverage 3 months late? Sound cool? Not anymore, but those things were just some of the bad things about magazines. how about the issues that got "lost" or showed up with a page missing? Still going to miss that shit?

So, I'm off the sadness bullshit wagon and hoping that R&C and the others will just go digital with paid subscriptions to most of the good stuff. Like they are almost doing now. Which, if you think about this logically, is actually the smart thing to do.

Besides, if it's on your computer, you can print out the articles and photos you like and skip what you don't. YOU will be your own editor! Sort of. Print it out and haul it to the bathroom, just like before.

24. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I havent heard anything bout them goin digital just that they were "folding" them into othet mags.
    I guess it just depends on their definition..

Of course if i have to see another " build a sbc for under 1500.00 " article i will scream. How many times can you rehash the same articles and then put it on just about every mag you publish at the same time ? ( hot rod, car craft, pop hot rodding, super chevy, etc.)
    Thats why i hate to see many of these go, they had variety...

25. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

When I was a kid I had a sub for Hot Rod, PHR, & Car Craft, when I would come home from school and My Mom would say " one of Your magazines came today" I would be stoked and read it cover to cover, My fav-o-rite pages went on My bedroom wall, and I would say " I'm gonna build stuff like that someday" , those books were magic, but I guess that was a long time ago, everything changes and not always for the better, nowadays youngsters have the mobile phone constantly in their hand and that screen is about all they see, it's up to Us to try and open their eyes a lilttle wider . Von Doc

T.L. likes this.
  26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

It's sad to see another magazine fold. I don't know about the 7-11s in your area but around my area, 7-11 no longer sells magazines, period.

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Really if you think about it, it's no different than the automakers downsizing. You have two different brands here, the only difference is the name tag, everything else is basically the same, same car, same color, maybe a little different trim. Both do the same thing, get you where you want to go. The different magazines were the same thing, inside the covers they had basically the same info, just presented in a different way by different people. You got the info you wanted in a format you liked. And how many times did that format change when a publication changed ownership or a new editor came on board? With nearly all the old school titles under the same ownership, it makes business sense to downsize, folding titles together, putting the best and brightest people together to turn out a better product. Will it work? Time will tell. With all the problems that traditional print media has to compete with the internet, it might last a while longer, but I'm afraid it's only the start. Sometime in the future, printed media will fade away completely, and you will have a pay as you go system where you pay for the content you want and download it like people do with music now days. Like it or not, things change with time, and there's nothing any amount of whining and crying about it will change.

28. Sad to say but over the years I've heard just as much whining about how awful all these magazines were and had gotten and guys cancelling their subscriptions. Couple of these magazines my subs ran into 2017. Don't expect anyone will see any kind of refund. Funny no one mentions missing American Rodder, Rodders Digest or either of both versions of Custom Rodder. I miss their monthly arrival at my mailbox. Now if you cancelled your subscriptions and complained to everyone how lousy these mags were you ,believe it or not, contributed to their demise.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    DenK and Model T1 like this.
  29. lizzard71

lizzard71
    from Phoenix AZ

While I am sad to see Popular Hot Rodding go away, there have been too many magazines for awhile now. Also an important part of this story is Source Interlink owed Time 7 million dollars they are writing off. I don't think this story is over, it is part of the coming of a new era (digital).

DenK likes this.
  30. Model T1

Model T1

Yep! And as written, the worse part is in a few years those digital write ups will also be gone. How long before all of the museums are also closed and records of the past eliminated.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    Gary Reynolds likes this.