Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pop's Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by racer32, Sep 3, 2013.

1. indyjps

indyjps

I like the plan, get it running and driving and modify as you find parts. Can I suggest keeping the maroon / black paint and just painting the hood to match, inexpensive single stage with a flattening agent added should do it, maybe a scuff down with scotchbrite. I'm not talking faux patina here, just a close enough match that it looks right from 10 feet.
    Once you tear it down for paint you're off the road for a long time.

2. racer32

racer32

Man, how did I miss that one! Must have been there sometime earlier or later than when we came to the BBQ. NICE CAR!!!

3. racer32

racer32

I've been looking around at spray bombs that are "close enough" to the maroon, and plan to shoot the deck lid and hood. Eventually it's going to have to be painted, though. The top of the tank is in pretty sad shape, paint-wise. It's scary to see all that pristine, unrusted bare metal between the paint's cracks and wonder what'll happen if it gets rained on.

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Wow, just found this thread. Cool project Russ, I really dig the direction your going with this one ! Looking forward to seeing it at PnP.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. racer32

racer32

Not a lot of progress going on. Still haven't got her driving yet, but I picked up some goodies today:

Attached Files:

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

I drove my 31 coupe long enough to find out that it is terribly slow so I got a high compression head. The performance shot up! On tour with other As I learned that the most common problem was the points and condenser so I got Pertronix and the kit to set the timing with a timing light. With increased performance comes the need for better brakes so I used 71-76 Chevy wagon brakes with 1940 drums and installed a dropped axle. At the same time,I put in a 1984-87 F150 3 speed with overdrive and installed a dropped floor in the trunk.
    The last thing I did is build a stainless steel manifold/header and used the best carburetors in the world, The SU. I think I am done and dont see any need for more upgrades, except air conditioning. Ken Parker put air in his and says the tachometer is steady at idle when he switches on the air. The car is 12V, alternator and has a heater. I have driven thru 4 states over 17 years
    [​IMG]
    myA by farmgate, on Flickr

Attached Files:

7. racer32

racer32

I've seen some posts on fordbarn about the F150 swap behind the bangers. Looks pretty sano sitting back there. Dig those SU's, too.

8. racer32

racer32

Made a little progress today. The banger has left the building. No pics to update, because my wife won't let me use her camera. Hoping to get the engine back in and have it running by March 1st for the Texas Thaw.

9. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya nice work... what t a doing w the banger...

10. racer32

racer32

Fixing the clutch and putting the banger back in. I'm going to drive the car while I gather hot rod parts. Current plan is to get another A frame, build the hot rod chassis, then swap the body over to the new frame.

11. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Nice. Keep me in mind when u wann sell the banger. Thanks sweet coupe . .

12. racer32

racer32

You looking for an engine? I have a late-30's Long Beach replacement engine (diamond block). It came from a friend of mine's truck, and ran when it was pulled a month or so back. It's got a cracked head, but otherwise OK.

13. racer32

racer32

Makin' some progress with the warm weather. Clutch disc R&R and the engine is back in today.