Register now to get rid of these ads!

Poor guy Looking For the Cheapest Flat Back Paint , Solution

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theduuude, Aug 13, 2017.

1. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Yes they used to but 2 Wes cost more than the gallon, if you need touch up they have spray cans also

2. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

You mean Quart? I would assume so, but when a Gallon of paint is $40.00 may as well go for more.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

LOL ..... No I Meant 1/4 " Inch Thick ......Ha Ha .... That's why I Was Sayin' Maybe Pitch ???

4. Is that you and the car you bought from the car wash in 1969, in your avatar picture? Sounds like you've had an interesting life, man.

I dig your car. It's got heart. Drive it because it makes you happy, don't worry about what anybody else thinks. Life is too short to ask permission.

People think my car is a pos. I don't let it bother me. We'll all be feeding the worms soon enough, and they won't care if you were driving a shiny '32 Ford or the city bus.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  5. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

If you have a local ppg or porter paint store like for house paint. Go in and ask about qt110 it comes in a satin black. Its a good enamel and dries in about 10 min.

Sent from my VS990 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Cool car. Treat it right and don't put garbage paint on it. Just my 2 cents.

7. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

FWIW, years ago the "value price leader" was blackboard paint. Haven't priced it
    lately...check if the finish texture is suitable.

8. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

IMG_20170819_161357792.jpg

A gallon of that reduced properly will do a full car and then some.

9. I have a good auto body supply store by me. I hit them up first when I need paint stuff and I prefer to tap into their knowledge face to face. Another place for a quick cheap quart of paint is Auto Zone. They have Duplicolor lacquer, which I used on the inside floor of my Ford, it went down nicely.

10. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Reducing the JD Blitz is just for praying, correct?

No need if I want to use it for another application such as house siding?

11. rockfish

rockfish

You are correct. If you're going to brush or roll onto siding you can use it straight from the can.

xpletiv likes this.
  12. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Yes, had a 53 Chevy we used their classic green to touch up some spots on that had a 60's-70's brush paint on it blends great.

13. Woodycars

Woodycars

14. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

IMG_5569.JPG

s55mercury66 likes this.
  15. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

Someone Asked if This was the Car I Bought from the Mexican auto Detailer Next to Merles Drive in Visalia ,Ca Better than Mel's in American Graffitti Yes after a Trip to New Orlean's & some jail time Preped by me painted by my older Cousin Lindy now in Idaho with a Mopar Bracket Racer & his own paint booth ..... will Download a pix of Merle's Drive in Later .... thanks for all of your post's still trying to figure out how to Post back

clunker likes this.
  16. koolkemp

koolkemp

You have good taste in old wagons! Here's one I had 20 some years ago.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

van sickle flat black. $29 a gallon

18. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

Thanks Pete Few People understand what we go though for a car .....but even in the darkest days of the recession barely scrappin' by I'd come around the corner of the floor covering shop & see my Baby sittin' there in the weed's & I'd Always Break into a SMILE .......

19. brookwood

brookwood

have you checked out "VINTAGE FLATZ".........you tube it..............this stuff is the way to go......very reasonable price....and you can do it yourself !....check it out....

20. JD Blitz Black it is!
    Just painted our (OT) 90 Chevy truck and BB goes on like a dream and looks like a dream. Follow instructions when spraying. You'll need a reducer (regular thinner) and don't forget the hardener. Do it right so it will last...

raff23089 likes this.
  21. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

Prepped cars for paint but never shot 1 so get ready for the amateur question ,, any chance being it's so forgiving that I could do this with a paint pad ?? & if so would I need the reducer & another guy said to also use the hardner also Joh Deere ? & is the hardner a second step & necessary . Thanks for your involvement & Advice ....I've seen you've helped a lot of guy's Thank's Again ,, the Duuude PS Whadda I Call Ya ??

22. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Jeremy Schwanke. What do you mean a paint pad? Hardener is not 100% necessary, we have done it with or without. You shouldn't have much more than $100.00 in paint costs with paint, reducer, and hardener. Since it's the exterior I would use the hardener.

23. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

Hope ya saw pix of the car ..... but .....I hope that Rusty hulk in your Picture is yours or tell me the story about it ...or what pix do you have of your project's

24. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

I'm still goin 4 the Blitz Black ..... but your car looks amazing ..... I'm only worried about my prep work .... you never no how good it is till you shoot it ..............?????

25. theduuude

theduuude
    from tacoma,wa

It's a pad kinda like ?? velour ?? Have used it for paint on const. jobs doesn't leave lines as much as a roller .... you & others mentioned repairs & sections done with a Brush ??? have access to a gun, not a booth,, & such a Novice with a gun

26. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I'm a total novice with a gun, but am a wiz with a can of spray paint. I have painted a few interior pieces with jd bb and a spray gun and they looked great. I'd do it with the gun.