Register now to get rid of these ads!

pontiac wagon rear seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod, Nov 18, 2003.

1. ramrod

ramrod
    from NJ

Does anyone know if a rear seat from a 4 door 55-57 chevy or pontiac wagon will fit in my 56 pontiac safari 2 door wagon. thanks Jim

2. yep, should fit exactly

3. It might physically fit but I don't think it operates in the same manner.The Safari rear seat is designed so you have to fold the bottom up(pulling from where the top and bottom converge)to a vertical position and then releasing the back and folding it forward where it locks into the bottom.There are two loops on the back that fit into hooks on the bottom.I'm not sure how the four door seat folds.

4. ramrod

ramrod
    from NJ

Thanks Guys,Now does anyone know how a 4 door seat folds?And what about the hinges are they the same?

5. JamesG

JamesG

I had a 56 Safari and that seat will work. Also, a rear seat from a late model caddy will work to. My buddies purple 55 Nomad has one in it. Also, did you know that not only is the bolt pattern differnt from a Safaria nd Nomad but so is the shape on the rear fender wells. A stock Safari will only hold a 7" wide rim. A Nomad can run a 10! Actually nothing on the two cars are the same except the glass, doors. A Safari is 7" longer than a Nomad overall. If you need any more help feel free to email me, I love those wagons! [​IMG]

6. Actually nothing on the two cars are the same except the glass, doors. A Safari is 7" longer than a Nomad overall.

I'm not sure about the OVERALL length but the wheelbase is seven inches different(115" for a Nomad and 122" for the Safari).Another huge difference is the gas tank and spare wheel well location:On the Safari the spare wheel well is offset to the right of center and the gas tank is squarish and located on the left side of the car.The Nomad's is on center and the gas tank is located in FRONT of the spare wheel well.

7. My 55 Chevy wagon's seat works as decribed above. 2 door and 4 door are the same in Chevys at least.

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

On my 53, the lower part of the rear seat pivots forward off the front brackets.. and the rear is on a bar that goes thru the seat and attaches on each rear fender well.

9. ramrod

ramrod
    from NJ

Thanks again guys Has any one clipped one of these cars?I've got a mid 80s camaro clip looks pretty close.Any ad vise?

10. [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks again guys Has any one clipped one of these cars?I've got a mid 80s camaro clip looks pretty close.Any ad vise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would advise against clipping it.I think the drum brakes are sufficient to stop the car readily providing they are in decent shape.I've put over 100K on my 55 and have had several occasions to make a,"panic stop" and they functioned perfectly.In that time,I've replaced two sets of wheel bearings(my own stupidity for not checking them more often),two sets of shoes,a set of drums(front and rear)and wheel cylinders(all four;the master I rebuilt).The front end has had one upper eccentric replaced and aligned twice.Oh yeah;I'm on my third set of tires.The bias plys didn't cut it after driving 600 plus miles in the pouring rain.
    The engine is still running great(the heads haven't been off since I bought it 10 years ago)and was rebuilt by someone before I owned it.Still has 110-115 lbs. in every cylinder.The only thing I changed was to a later distributor.I could buy a complete tune up kit for the price of a set of 55 points.
    Pontiac engines run great if you keep the oil clean and don't try to rev 'em like a SBC or you'll bend pushrods.Trust me on that one.
    Besides if you ever decide to sell it,it's easier to sell a stocker than a modified one.