Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac straight 8 remote oil filter.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old1946truck, Dec 21, 2017.

1. old1946truck

old1946truck

I have a AC oil filter bracket that bolts to the cylinder head. The part number for the bracket is 5571589 K-101. I am trying to find the canister that fits the bracket does anyone know the part number for the canister?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Dunno if this is any help but those canister type oil filters were all pretty much the same as far as I know, they were all by pass filters with the only real difference being exactly where the inlet/outlet lines ran to and from........there may have been a difference in size between say a filter for a 6 and one for an 8 although that I couldn't be sure of.........have you thought of contacting POCI?.......the Pontiac Owners Club International, they should be able to help.............andyd

3. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

We have 3 straight 8 Pontiac Motors at the Shop (1947/48).
    I'll take a look, but AndyD is correct. All the Oil Filters were Dealer installed or aftermarket.
    Usually AC or Fram. And as far as I know there are only 2-size Filters available.

4. old1946truck

old1946truck

Ok I think I found the filter for it in the pile of junk I have. It's a AC canister filter off a Dodge the canister can be removed from the strap. So I will find out tomorrow when the Pontiac bracket kit gets here.

5. Ideally I would try to use a canister that has a removable top and that you just replace the element.......its a little bit messier I suppose but then theres no need to worry about changing the in/out lines to suit............I ended up getting a Beehive Filter for the 41 Plymouth I had & it came with a cross reference list of about 10 different filter element brands that fitted the beehive canister.........sold the car and think the list went with it.............andyd