Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac rearend yoke interchange?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake H., Apr 6, 2006.

1. Jake H.

Jake H.

I did a search and came close, but didn't quite find the info. I need.

The rear pinion yoke on my '57 Pontiac rearend has part of the cast "ears" broken off where the u-bolt goes through, holding the u-joint bearing cap in place. This is only on one side, and I was tempted to dress the ends and re-file the holes for the u-bolt.

I don't want to half-ass it, and I'm not sure how long the u-joint would live. Just dropped $200 on a new driveshaft, don't need any more headeaches.

Is there another GM yoke that would interchange with this (Chevy, maybe)? And if so, the removal of said yoke just involves unbolting and sliding it out of the third member, right? Is this a can of worms, or not?

Thanks for any wisdom, Pontiac gurus.

Jake

2. '57 Olds and Pontiac; maybe 58-64 Pontiac and Olds, they're basically the same rearend but wider and the axles have more splines.

Maybe someone can look the part up in a Hollander manual, too.

My '58 Pontiac Shop Manual calls this a companion flange and it can be changed without tearing the rearend apart, but the proper preload must be set when reinstalling a new one.

It shows a speecial tool to hold the flange, but that appears to amount to studs threaded into the flange holes and they go through a piece of flat stock that is notched so you can get a 1/2" drive socket on the nut.

I'd siuggest digging up a shop manual for '57 for the correct specs and procedure to change it out -