Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac/Olds Rearend TECH...post it here...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ruiner, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Thanks again Dave! The rear came from a picked apart 63 GP. I believe it was a 389 automatic car. I picked up the rear for pennies. I like to have extra parts and a posi is always a big bonus!

Dustin

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thread. I will need this when I decide to finish my Plymouth and get started on my Poncho.

3. zrdtech

zrdtech
    from Montana

I do lurk a lot, but rarely post here. I apologize, as I am somewhat affiliated with the company responsible. Hopefully this is seen as more of a PSA than an advertisement. I will humbly take my lashing from the mods if necessary. That being said....,

The brand new, purpose-built (not a modified version of an existing unit) limited-slip unit for the Pontiac/Olds 9.3" is now available!

I can provide more details if anyone desires. Stepping out now.

elgringo71 and jadegrenade 51 like this.
  4. 64grand

64grand

Finally! Can I return my rebuilt one that I spent an arm and a leg on from you guys and get a new one?
    It's amazing by the way!!! A whole new car with limited slip!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417314764.297204.jpg
    Specially with the 455 HO I just put into it!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. zrdtech

zrdtech
    from Montana

Sure! They'll just need that other arm and leg!

That's a beautiful car! Glad you're happy with the diff. Traction is a must with that big Poncho torque!

64grand likes this.
  6. monzaz

monzaz

Posi units. We have been making the Eaton Posi units for a few years now also. AS with all the posi units for sale.... NONE ARE CHEAP. We only carry 31 spline and sell both 3 and 4 series carrier. We have done True trac posi units, and power trac posi units and even DETROIT LOCKER units.
    Jim
    J D Race
    Good luck on the info thread... YOU NEVER know it all we kept finding out NEW stuff on all rear ends all the time. :) IMG_5661.JPG
    IMG_5648.JPG

elgringo71 likes this.
  7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

picked this one up locally the other day
    haven't opened it up yet but the story was it came out of a '63 Pontiac Station Wagon
    (low mile wreck)
    seems good from the outside..
    '62 date code, 3.08 limited slip..

if it's a good one it'll go in my '58 housing and I'll likely order a pair of 31 spline Dutchman axles
    to go in an A Coupe

2014-12-18 15.44.08.jpg

2014-12-18 15.44.59.jpg

2014-12-18 15.45.30.jpg

20141217_165532.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  8. Danny G

Danny G

I have a carrier housing with 535200 on it and I need the bearing numbers for the carrier and the pinion, I loaned my book and now I need it to get the parts for my spool

9. 535200 is second generation (59-62). Check NAPAONline.com as they have bearings for the Olds rears, but know your year and model first.

10. monzaz

monzaz

Paul

Story might be wrong.... If this was from a Pontiac why does it have a OLDS tag ANTI SPIN is Oldsmobile term for LSD
    Pontiac tag will say Safety track.

Just pointing out clues for the rest to ponder... A LSD find ifs a good find NO MATTER what the story is. :)

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

hmm, interesting, so you think it's a '62 Olds rear not a '63 Pontiac?..

as long as it's in decent shape I'm happy, I haven't opened it up yet..

12. Date code sez it's '63 model year and casting number is '63-'64. Maybe someone cudn't tell the difference between a '63 Pontiac SW and a '63 Olds SW. Pull the drums off and look at the drive dogs in the center of the axle flange. If it has two drive dogs shaped like mushroom heads, it's an Olds. If it has four drive dogs shaped like a saw blade, it's a Pontiac. Both are 31 spline. Don't know for sure about the width, but if it is a Pontiac, it might be a little wider.

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I thought the L 13 2 was the date code making it a December 13th 1962 vintage?
    No?

14. Pictures of the other side of the housing ( backside and upper control arm brackets) or, pictures of the backing plates would help ID it.

Dustin

15. It gets a little crazy when you're trying to figure these dates. This was cast in Dec '62 and the new car models, i.e., '63, hit the showrooms in Sep '62 making it from a '63 vehicle.

16. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Will a 62 Cadillac Posi Pumpkin fit into a 62 Pontiac housing?
    Can get the Caddy pumpkin and axles for $200.00 but don't want any of it if it's just halloween decorations...

17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I do not believe that they will.
    To the best of my knowledge, Pontiac/ Olds only
    KK

18. DMcNulty1

DMcNulty1
    from California

I have 2 9.3 laying around the house open end 3.23 gears I think need more funds for my project

19. I think the Caddy rear ends are smaller believe it or not. I'd also think that some out there would be lookin for an old Cadillac posi. You can just open up a catalog and order a new carrier and, maybe even gears for that matter.

20. Does anyone have a scan or know all the exact dimensions/specs for 1958 Oldsmobile rear brake drums?

Dustin

21. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

I pulled the axels out of my friends 57 Pontiac 2dr wagon and do not see any axel seals but an O-Ring on the bearing. Shouldn't there also be a press in seal?
    Thanks
    Pat

22. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The seal is between the bearing and the axle flange.
    KK

23. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

Another KoolKat! So to replace the seals you have to replace the bearings? Probably should be done anyways but if it didn't leak before and wasn't disturbed because of it's location do you think that it will be ok? I have always replaced axel seals if I pulled the axles but this one is a different animal. I see that Fabcraft sells a kit. Has anyone used them?
    Thanks
    Pat

24. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Fabcraft is the authority when it comes to 57-64 Pontiac/Olds rearends!
    You can trust them for parts and information, great people!
    KK

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  25. I replaced the bearing and seals in mine, they were easy to work with and received parts in a timely fashion. I'd really advise you to buy their book on the history and servicing of these rear ends, it answered questions I had about mine. It's a great deal of info for us that didn't know much about em!

26. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

I think getting the kit from Fabcraft is the way to go.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Pat

27. F&J

F&J

DSCN0294 (Large) (Medium).JPG DSCN0293 (Large) (Medium).JPG DSCN0295 (Large) (Medium).JPG I find it interesting to see where some GM parts were first designed..

I am working for an estate to get cars fixed for resale, and this 34 LaS coupe had wrong wheels, and the correct wheels were 5.5" bolt circle. The car was converted in the 1960s to 5" bolt pattern.

Found a 34-36 LaS rear end in the barns, to see if they maybe just changed drums. Nope, the car looks like it has a mid 50s Olds rear in it now.

Looking at the 34-36 LaS rear end on the chain, it really is very close to an early Olds rear. Even the driveshaft yoke looks the same. The big difference is the LaS has removable hubs with a center nut, and pinion shaft support bolts.

28. F&J

F&J

I took the "Olds" rear end out of the 34 LaS, and going by the casting number and date codes on this thread, it is July 22 1954. I think it must be Olds, not Pontiac, as all the brackets match the 55 and a 56 Olds rears I have here. (note, it has a homemade driveshaft adapter on the yoke)

Question: I've double checked the ratio to be 3.08. I thought the stock Hydramatic was 3.23 and standard shift was 3.42? Is the 3.08 an uncommon ratio for mid 50s Olds? It seems a very low number for the mid 50s?

DSCN0310 (Medium).JPG

29. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

It is not common. I think it was only available in the later years (54-55-56) I searched for about 2 and a half years until I finally found that ratio via another HAMBer. I bought the whole drop out from him and put it in the car. I love it for driving on the highway around here. The car will run 70 mph all day and the big torque of the Olds loves the tall ratio. I have the original 3.42 drop out if anyone needs one. Good shape. Just not needed. PM me if interested.

30. dutchrodder

dutchrodder

anybody knows something about a 1936 olds rear axle?? my ratio is too short, is there another differential I can put in to it?
    Stock should be 4.55 (and I think it's stock) but that's way to short, need to have something around 3- 3.5

Attached Files: