Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pontiac OHC 6 Sprint Dimensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kwsullivan, Feb 13, 2021.

1. kwsullivan

kwsullivan

Does anyone have dimensions for a Pontiac OHC Sprint engine? I'm considering swapping one into my '38. My biggest concern is the overall length (bellhousing mount to the waterpump shaft?).

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Was the block not the same as a chevy 6 of the same era? I seem to remember only the head was different.

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes. Same as a Chevy 250 - 292

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Tombstone here on the H.A.M.B. son is running one In a model A he could probably get you exact dimensions

5. kwsullivan

kwsullivan

I'm just beginning to learn about this engine but I've read the block has a deeper skirt and it takes considerable work to adapt the Chevy crank so I don't think they are the same. Again, just scratching the surface at this time.

6. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

This might help you, unfortunately I don’t have a bellhousing on this engine.
    Overall length from fan/pulley mounting surface to rear of the engine , where bellhousing would bolt to 32 1/2 inches.
    And yes to install a Chevy 6 crank requires extensive machining.
    If you had access to a small block Chevy bellhousing for an overall measurement add that to the above and that will put you right in the ballpark .
    You will need to use a Camaro starter since OHC ones are no longer available. The starter will need a bit of clearancing on the bell end, but easily done.
    Hope this helps . These are a good engine , lots of torque. Biggest downfall is parts are getting harder to find .
    Go for it ‼️

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Do a Google search for , "Images of Pontiac overhead cam six engine". They have the Pontiac/Olds/Buick/late Caddy bellhousing flange mount, the distributor is in roughly the same spot, the oil fill is on the right side of the block, as is the fuel pump, the oil filter is on the left. As far as them being the same as the later Chevrolet six (194-292 engines), they're different. Length is roughly about the same, they are probably a little wider with the different intake manifold and dual exhaust. I wonder what one of these overhead sixes is going to cost? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I knew you would chime in!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those engines are extremely prone to having the number 5 cylinder overheat. I worked in a Pontiac dealership in the 70's and while I didn't do engine work just about every OHC damn six that came in with trouble had issues in #5 cylinder. They do run like a striped ass ape if you have the sprint version as long as you can keep them running.

V8 Pontiac stick bellhousings aren't that hard to find and I can't see why a guy would waste time and money adapting a Chevy bellhousing.

It was real common to replace them with a 250 Chevy when they crapped out rather than repair them in the 70's at the dealerships I worked at.

kwsullivan likes this.
  10. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

There is a great deal of information & support in the Pontiac community for these engines. I could assemble about 3 with the parts I have on hand.
    If a Chebby 6 will fit, an OHC will too. Except they are a little taller in front...
    Head port design is very similar to the 389 of the day and they like to rev so do not be bashful about the gears!

kwsullivan likes this.
  11. kwsullivan

kwsullivan

Very helpful! Thank you!

12. kwsullivan

kwsullivan

Thanks! I finally clock as to why it was referred to as a BOP bell housing...

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think there is probably a very good reason they only made them for a couple/maybe few years. Later model Chevrolet six, and pick your CID, 194, 215, 230, 250 292 (the 215 was Olds/Pont only and was used in place of the 194). I'd got with a 250, I'd stay away from the 292 due to some of it's "oddities", extra height, and terrible gas mileage. JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. I took a 250 chev out of my 34 chev truck and had to recess the firewall 6 inches to install the ohc , the valve cover is further back due to the cam belt cover . 20180209_224241.jpg

15. kwsullivan

kwsullivan

Yeah, I'm thinking i may have to notch the firewall as well.

16. 20170903_171824.jpg 20171228_233834.jpg 20190313_211640.jpg
    That is the bell housing, I am using 200r4 out of a Cadillac if I remember right , and the sprint intake and manifold which I will run fuel injection

17. Try to get your engine as complete as possible , parts are hard to come across and expensive , I am building this for my wife , that is why automatic and fuel.injection.
    Needed brackets for power steering 4-5 months to find and lightened my wallet 250.00

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bought one new in 69 in a Firebird. Can't say I ever had any trouble with #5. Had it for several years At least until 78. and then passed it along to my nephew when he got his license. Never heard about any trouble from him either, I liked the three speed stick with FoMoCo cast into the housing. As I remember it had 6 intake ports unlike the Chevy which has 3 hence the lump port deal. L bought a Clifford 4bbl and headers neither of which fit.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran one with Vic Enyart (rip) with a 292 4-1/8” crank in my LSR Roadster in the early 90’s. . It was built in the late 60’s by Eddie Myer for the 5.0 liter hydro boat. Ran circles around the 5.0 Chev V-8’s, Algon injection with a Hilborn pump. Vic reworked some MB rockers and went to what I’ll call solids lifters. Don’t know where it is now. Crank was tight with a lot of weight taken off as I remember.
    LSR mandates a scattershield so I bought a new McCleod BOP and Chevrolet all on the same one. Starter mounts on both sides. I believe it was one of the first ones. Also used it on a Chevrolet that ran Perris 1/2 dirt before it cracked at one of the trans bolts.

20. kwsullivan

kwsullivan

I like the fuel injection idea. Was considering that myself. Now I just need to find an engine!

21. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

I should clarify , I wasn’t saying to adapt a SBC bellhousing just suggesting if he had access to one for “rough ballpark” measurement that would suffice . Since the cars we have with the OHC are in winter storage I can’t get to them to get a more precise measurement.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Just remembered there are two for sale by the same seller. I can post a pic of the ad with contact info. Will do it through PM (Conversations) to discourage “poachers” :D

EDIT: Done...

Ray

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Ran a couple of them and found both to be good serviceable engines.
    Do a search,I remember there was a group just for the OHC 6. I bought a complete Sprint intake/ exhaust setup from a group member.

24. The bell I pictured is the correct bell housing , also have the flywheel and clutch plate , sold the 3 speed transmission as I am running a 200r4

Hnstray likes this.
  25. I can give you any measurments or photos you may require .The truck is in the garage .

Hnstray and mgtstumpy like this.
  26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Some interesting reading on the Pontiac OHC6
    Here's some cam specs if you decide to soup it up:-
    782012 ’66-‘67 (E) 1BC
    9782218 ’66-‘67 4BC
    9792538 ‘66-‘67 (E-D) 4BC
    9790826 ‘68 (C) 1BC. GM# 546670, 546671 Gr# 0.519
    9792539 ‘68-‘69 (E)
    9796327 ‘69 (H) 4BC w/MT. GM# 546673

upload_2021-2-14_10-14-38.png

upload_2021-2-14_10-16-6.png

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  27. kwsullivan

kwsullivan

Excellent information! Thank you!

mgtstumpy likes this.
  28. kwsullivan

kwsullivan

From the back of the block to the tip of the water pump shaft would be great.

29. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

With the help of friends we put a OHC Pontiac in my '38 Chevy sedan, we got a firewall recess from another similar Chevy and simply piggyback that piece into the firewall. Polished the cam housing and timing cover, then appoxed a Chevy Bowtie emblem into the cam housing, that emblem, the sidedraft Webbers and Clifford headers messed with the lookers minds, had fun with it ! 2.5" length difference from the 216. Dyno Dave

kwsullivan and Hnstray like this.
  30. From the back of the block to the tip of the water pump is 33 inches . 34 inches with the OEM spacer and fan .
    Also the valve cover is flush with the very back of the block .

Hnstray likes this.