Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac Motor Mounts!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nooch, Oct 23, 2006.

1. nooch

nooch

Hey guys

Does anyone have a diagram of what the front motor mount from a 54 Pontiac 239 should look like? Am I right in think its one centered mount across the cross member? That seems wild to me! Mine has rot away and caused the engine to sink in the front so I want to replace it but need a better idea of what I'm looking at...

Thanks

nooch

2. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You don't need a diagram. Same mount from 1940-1958......one single dead center engine mount bolted straight to the cross member and two dog ear lookin suckers mounted to the bellhousing for trans support bolted directly to the rear cross member.

Call California Pontiac Restoration. They have all 3 and are the cheapest on the market............

The engine mount bolts directly to the engine with dog ear tabs and then straight up from the bottom of the cross member into the bottom metal portion of the mount.

3. Adam F

Adam F

Hey Nooch,

You stole my post :)

Heres where we are at: with the car jacked up we removed the two bolts that go through the cross member from underneath. I figured this would be enough to be able to jack the engine up the few inches required to replace the rubber mount.

having gotten both bolts out, we put the jack under the sump and lifted but the whole car lifts up.

Any thoughts?

Adam F

4. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

There are two dog eared mounts from the bellhousing to the crossmember where the trans sits. With the engine and trans mated together and bolted to the crossmember, you are lifting the car and putting strain on those mounts.

You're thinking with a SBC mindset. With a mount on the trans tailshaft, you can normally raise it up, but not with the main body bolted directly to the frame.

Also, you'll have to unbolt that engine mount from the engine as well as the cross member...........and of course the trans mounts from the cross member is something you'll have to take care of as well.

5. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Gee..ain't she swell,fellas!:)
    Missed ya Brandy.

6. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Ohhh I missed you too!:D

7. Adam F

Adam F

Thinking with a "SBC mindset"? That's weird, cause my car is a Ford with a Flathead and I've never even lifted a wrench on a SBC!

Seriously though, thanks... that info is a big help! I have to say I am a little surprised that the tranny mounts directly to the frame with no rubber mounts!
    Guess I would have seen that if the grass under the car wasn't so long!

Nooch - you ordered a new motor mount yet ?

Thanks
    Adam

8. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Don't get your panties in a bunch, the SBC bit is a joke. I'm trying to get you to understand that those mounts aren't TYPICAL like the tail shaft mounted versions.
    They aren't COMPLETE metal. They are two metal triangle mounts held together with REAL thick rubber flashing. The center mount is a metal "boat" with a rubber pad that mounts metal down and rubber up.
    California Pontiac Restoration has a website, telephone number and catalog.:D