Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac 6x2 Intake Advice Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34andy, Feb 27, 2011.

1. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

I am not a Pontiac guy, but I do have this old log style Edelbrock 6x2 P6 intake that fits Pontiac 1955 to 1964 engines. It appears to have been polished in the past and should polish up nicely again with a little effort.

The problem is that someone cut the rear portion of the manifold where the manifold bolts to the cylinder head in the rear. (see pics)

Is this a common/legitimate modification and is the manifold is still useable?

Or does this require welding repair before someone could use it?

I'd like to describe it accurately when I sell it.

Thanks!
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

how much i have a 55 id love to put it in

3. 55chieftain

55chieftain

My guess is that could be the front thats cut off not the rear. Someone may have tried to use it on later 65 and up heads and cut the front off to use the later style water crossover.
    There is quite a bit of work involved to use this on the 65 and up heads other than the crossover , something like this:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652385

4. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Whoever cut off the front of the intake couldn't have picked a worse spot to make the cut, right through the middle of the bolt hole that is used to seal the front intake runners.

Could be saved by cutting off the front water crossover from a pre-'65 intake and using a big flat washer, or adapted to '65 and later engines by using the front crossover from a '65 and up intake.

All of the bolt holes except the very front two that seal the water crossover will line up when using that intake on '65 and later heads, easy conversion.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

5. You will have to weld a bung or plate to hold down the intake as it is so close to the port. To use it on a later engine you will still have to find an aluminum (intake)crossover to weld it to.
    Thats why you got it cheap......
    Some nice 94"s or 97"s would look good on that manifold.

6. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The problem with welding on a front crossover from another intake is the fact that this intake was made to be installed as two separate pieces connected by rubber hose between the plenums, it never had a solid front crossover to begin with.

Another one piece water crossover from another intake can be utililized, but you wouldn't want to weld it onto the intake.

This one will have to sell for a low price since it does need a bit of help.

7. Pontiac4903

Pontiac4903

It looks like you have a victim of an old pontiac racers trick. The manifolds were split at the water cross over and that way a intake could be changed without draining or loosing any of the water. If you can find a cross over or have one made, you will have to half drill the hole that matches the front side of the intake, put a plate washer over the two half holes, and bolt her down.

8. 55chieftain

55chieftain

If anything, you or whoever buys it should be able to get an early cast iron intake pretty cheap, and cut the water crossover off thru the centerline of the hole and make sure it's at the same height as the aluminum half so both halves will compress the same when tightened down.

9. Hwy455

Hwy455

Did you say you are planning to sell? I may be interested.
    Thanks,
    Hwy455