Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac 316 - Carburetor Replacement Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaxxRuckus, Oct 7, 2014.

1. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Hi all,

It's come time for a complete overhaul of the carb on my '56. It's got the original Carter WCFB 4bbl. I was just thinking, before I spend the time tracking down parts, rebuilding everything, etc, what other carbs (aftermarket) can I swap on here instead with the stock manifold? Just curious, thanks in advance!

2. uncledon529@bellsouth.net

[email protected]
    from florida

You will need a carb adapter and a new air cleaner to use a later Holley or what you choose. Don

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I would use a 500 cfm Edelbrock with the electric choke.
    You will need an adapter because of the small base WCFB manifold.
    500 cfm should be plenty for the stock 316.
    KK

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Like koolcat 57 said use an Edelbrock, with an adapter for the base. You will be very happy with the Edelbrock carb

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless it has other serious problems, why not rebuild the original? I did a WCFB from a '54 Chrysler for a flathead, and it was pretty easy. I had no problem finding a kit (I think it was $34.95, but it included everything). Also, it's a good skill to have in your bag of tricks. If you insist on replacing it, I may be interested in purchasing it as a core.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Find a Rochester & rebuild it ... 7009906 for hydro, 7009905 for 3 speed.

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

I would rebuild the original if it is complete. Linkages are where u need them especialy if u have a hydromatic.

8. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Hey guys thanks for the advice! I will probably be rebuilding the WCFB but was just curious about other options. If I did go with the Holley though, where would I get the adapter? Is that something you get from Holley? And do the stock throttle linkages work with it?

Thanks!

9. Easiest, laziest option - a '57-'60 4bbl intake and an Edelbrock AFB repro carb. Bolt on swap. No adapter needed.

I had a '56 4bbl intake and they're odd that the second set of venturis looks literally tacked on a 2bbl manifold, there's no meat around them like later intakes.

10. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

Right on thanks Rusty. I ended up getting a local carb shop to block off the choke (the plastic choke cover had disentegrated on my WCFB - he said from exhaust gas), since it was impossible to find a replacement choke for this thing. Now I'm just cleaning the shit out of it, replacing a few gaskets, and putting it back on. That should solve the vacuum leak sound that has been driving me crazy. I'll save the carb upgrade for another day. Thanks again for all the help!

loudbang likes this.