Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac 287 rebuild help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KLGreen, Nov 9, 2014.

1. KLGreen

KLGreen
    from Kansas

After a great summer of driving the wheels off of my 55 Pontiac the little 287 is getting tired, slight knock when its cold, oil leaks from just about everywhere. I'm wanting to do a rebuild this winter, nothing crazy just bring it back to its former glory. I can't seem to find a manual or book on rebuilding these early Pontiac's. I know Kanter has the rebuild kits although they're not cheap. I've searched the HAMB among other sites looking for info but it seems everyone just says to not bother with this motor and to replace it. Can anyone point me in the right direction

2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Check out

http://www.pontiacsafari.com/

there is an online 55 shop manual. Most don't bother with the 287 because of the money spent it could be used on a 59-60 389 for the same money or even a 370. Or just go with a low compression pump gas 350,400 or 455 . Getting these early transmissions repaired is very costly so maybe some just decide to get sway from it altogether. Better than putting a chevy in it though!