Register now to get rid of these ads!

Poncho-powered rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Zenor, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Curious - we see scads of Cadillacs, tons of Olds Rockets, multitudes of Nailheads, and tidal waves of SBCs in traditional style rods; for whatever reason it seems Pontiac is the odd man out when it comes to GM power plants (the notable exceptions being Axle's Deuce and the Purple People Eater). Sort of a shame -- the mills are plentiful, (somewhat) period correct, with a lot of good aftermarket speed equipment available.

Got some good photo examples of Indian power in traditional setups?

2. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

i'm running a '60 389 with a 3 duece set up in my 31 A sedan. i'll see if i can find a pic of it. (still in the build process)

bitchin motors. tons of torque, and plenty of ponies.

3. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

sorry for the shitty pics. and the DIRTY motor!!

i have a NOS offy intake with 3 rebuilt 94s and some cal custom finned valve covers just waiting to bolt on. should look pretty slick when it's done.

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

389 is badass, I really dig that

5. torpedo8

torpedo8
    BANNED
    from hell

Here is one of my bombs, 47 torpedo eight .. with a 65' 389 i went to school with this engine :D was sent to our HS in 65 to live its life as a demo engine, salvaged it one day when i went to show my ole teach what ive been doin and low n behold it was sittin in the scrap pile and still a virgin block, thank god

it came to me with a chevy small block so hay, atleast its got a poncho heart again

go easy on me , the air cleaner and the valve cover studs were given to me so i had to put them on:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

My old shitbox.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ran 2x4 600 cfm Holleys on an old Offy intake.

7. This is my 1960, 389 [+0.130] that will go in my 41 Pontiac coupe after I get my 55 chevy Pickup on the street...

Ram air 3 cam, Rhoades lifters, flatops, dual afb's, ported heads and double roller chain.

8. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

I got a 65 389 and a tri-power that I'll be using for my next rod. Gotta love that sound of a tri-power under full throttle! :)

9. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

its out of the car now but hopefully will be back in soon!!!

10. Picture this w/ a destroked and turbo'd Pontiac 194 four cylinder going 200 mph down the salt :) Summer 2006. Dropping block and crank off for tanking and magnaflux today.

11. Mike

Mike

12. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

oughta be cool Tony! Are you going to share pics of the build process? Hope so.

13. repoman

repoman

Offset grind on a stocker or did you find an old custom crank? Interested in the build.

I always wanted to play with one of those 4-bangers, but my cars are always too big for one. I think it would be an affordable way to run a RAV (there are single oddball heads out there for cheap).

How much meat is in the bores? I would guess there is room to go to 4.15 at least.

At least you don't have to worry about the common 'split down the middle' - It's already split!

14. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

How about something off the wall like mine, a 67 pontiac Overhead Cam inline 6 in a 28 A Sedan?? I ran one of these motors in my 53 Pontiac for 10 years and they are great, so now I am building a rod project so i figured why not use another one. I will post pics as it comes together further. It will be a wild engine with a crazy header and multi carbs on it. The sedan will have pics soon on here. I know i keep sayin that but i will make time to get them posted soon.

15. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

An overhead cam 6 will be awesome to use. There is a forum for those motors somewhere on the net too. I'll see if I can find it.

16. Justin B

Justin B

59' 389 in my a

17. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put Pontiacs in every car I build...

Here are the same 2 shots you guys have see 1000 times...

-Abone.

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I'm planning on using a 400 in my '31 A pick up.

Just needs minor assembly! :D

Josh

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Sorry to dredge up an ancient topic, blame Brandy, she drew my attention over here.

My dad had this...

[​IMG]

...so I worship the 389. Moreso after seeing the tripower 400 in Axle's deuce. I really want one. Preferably in something like this...

[​IMG]

Funny to hear about the lack of Pontiac mills in rods. Seems things were the same way back in 1958. One of my little books has a tech letter asking what mill to swap into a guys '55 Chevrolet. After expressing surpise that someone wants to swap out of a Chevy, they recommend the Pontiac, noting that it's been largely ignored up to that point, despite having been around as long as the Chevrolet. History repeats itself, eh?

20. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I burn with jealousy when I think of it.

There was a '55 Star Chief hardtop for sale here in Whitehall about a month ago. No windshield and with a 502 Chevy installed but they wanted $8000 and I doubt I could even scrape together two. No matter that it's practically my favorite car ever.

22. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I'm getting ready to drop a Pontiac into this. Pics of the motor coming soon. :eek:

pigpen

[​IMG]

23. TheDooWopKid13

TheDooWopKid13

Im running a 63 Catalina with a 389 in it.

Attached Files:

24. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Doh! I paid $400 for mine and another $200 to get it home to SoCal from Washington State.:D

I stalked one for YEARS, but the guy won't let go....if he does, I'll let you know.......maybe.......I dunno......gosh.......it's cherry and he's a quad.....
    xxx

25. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see my pics have dissapeared so your gonna have to look at em again...

-Abone.

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

All the cream puffs are in Washington and Oregon! I remember that from when I was seriously looking (Rambler American or Chevy Corvair). You'd think living in a rain forest, the humidty would get the old stuff.

Oh, FlamedAbone, how dare you make us look at cool stuff again! :D

27. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those pics are only a fraction of cars I've build with Poncho motors..I really don't know WHY I dig em so much..they really are kind of a stupid motor for trying to make any real power..

By the way..I just sent the Studebaker block to the machine shop...just a little 462 incher, but gonna be pretty scary for the street. Lookin to be on the road for the April Maxton Monster Mile land speed meet.

-Abone.

28. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Mine was garaged.:p In fact my California Ponch has more rust then that Catalina.:rolleyes:

Flamed--can I come to S. Carolina and drink beer with you?!:D

29. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Anyone have pics of any of Mickey Thompson's mills?
    Flamed A-Bone, damn I love that Kustom!

30. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

This is Jon's from THEM! also know as the Hollywood Hot Rod Roadster
    I don't know the details of the motor but it is Pontiac

[​IMG]