Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pomona swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Apr 19, 2016.

1. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I haven't been since about '89, nothing there for me. Although I haven't been in a couple of years I think Long Beach is much better. Prices are what they are.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  2. I agree about the prices, Lots of people have been watching too much TV, and so called" reality shows" But if its on TV it has to be true, right?

3. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

When I lived in San Diego I rode up there in 1995 with a buddy with $5k cash in my pocket with the intention of buying something and driving it home. I felt like a kid in a candy store because I knew there would be some good deals up there and I could actually buy a car instead of just looking. I like really clean and original cars so it came down to a '58 Bel Air 4 door or a '59 Edsel 2 door hardtop and I ended up going with the Edsel. No, it didn't break down on the way back. LOL I moved to Kentucky in 1998 so I'll probably never go back there again but I'll always remember the Edsel I bought there. Those were the good old days....

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

This Sunday at Pomona, I was pretty happy. I got a 1967 Dart Kart for a good price. I race vintage Go Karts, this one needs some help, but I will put it back into service !!!

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Ditto on that!

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I haven't been in years, but compared to San Diego Big 3, Long Beach, etc. Pomona has always been over priced. Even when I used to go back in the 80's, 90's, you could bet that most cars were tagged with (insulting) prices 25-50% more than what their market value was. Lots of bottom fishing and very few cars actually being sold.

7. Exactly. I wonder if he "got it"? LOL

8. Our "hobby" has long ago become a business. As stated it has idiots that don't know shit paying too much for cars and parts hoping to get even more and now they're stuck with the shit, still wanting too much. Also you have the "regular" vendors that buy from the guy cleaning out his garage hours before the public shoppers are allowed to enter. There was a decent 66 Catalina that maybe lowered with some wheels would make a cool driver for around 6-8K. The guy wanted 25K!!! Have you bumped your head man? My friend had a stunning candy gold 54 Lincoln Capri out there for $18K and sold it for $15K (and THAT didn't happen til NOON). Good luck on the Catalina pal

Speedys Garage likes this.
  9. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

supply and demand definition

In classical economic theory, the relation between these two factorsdetermines the price of a commodity. This relationship is thought to be thedriving force in a free market. As demand for an item increases, prices rise.When manufacturers respond to the price increase by producing a larger supply of that item, this increases competition and drives the price down.Modern economic theory proposes that many other factors affect price,including government regulations, monopolies, and modern techniques ofmarketing and advertising.

10. joe clotfelter

joe clotfelter

That's not the Pomona swap meet that's the LA Roadster show Not the same show

11. verde742

verde742

Pictures or it didn't happen.....:rolleyes:

12. amadeus

amadeus

I was there last Sunday and the only thing I got was a nasty Sunburn!
    Woke up super early at 5 am to beat the crowd, $10 bucks to park, $10 bucks to get in. Bought NOTHING.
    It had been a while since I last walked that Swap Meet and as soon as I got there I immediately remembered the reason why I stopped going.
    I walked probably 10 aisles before I decided that I was done...Junk everywhere.
    On the flipside, saw some friends that I had not seen in years! that was the highlight of my trip to Pomona.

• If you are into lowriders you are at the right place (I love Lowriders BTW)
    • You are looking for the NOS ($$$$$) GM accessories you are at the right place
    • Looking for GM parts you are at the right place.
    • You want to sell or buy the garbage in the garage (And I mean GARBAGE) you are at the right place.
    • You want to buy appliances, used clothes, Hot Wheel cars, bootleg CD's you are at the right place.
    • You want to get ran over by a Radio Flyer or mini bike, you are at the right place.
    • You want to see some crazy car dismantling LIVE on site you are at the right place.
    • You want to pay top $$ for food and refreshments you are at the right place
    For me POMONA SUCKED.

13. It's a shame it's gone down hill. In the late 70's - early 80's, Pomona was the shit! My buddies and I would caravan up from San Diego county with our trucks and trailers loaded with cars and parts and would roll into Pomona about 3:00 am. It was a great place to sell and a great place to buy. Great memories and some of the best times I ever had.

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Most swap meets are different now! Picked over parts from years of interest. e-bay has changed swap meets greatly. Before the internet you had to go to a swap-meet to find parts. But sometimes you find a deal. Its nice to look at the part or car in person and then decide to buy.

patmanta and Speedys Garage like this.
  15. roundvalley

roundvalley

Interesting comments. Who is the sponsor that promotes it?

16. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

George Cross and Sons.....
    Amadeus....no shit on that LIVE dismantling show. For you guys that don't know....there is a seller that'll bring in 4 or 5 parts cars....I think one this time was even a 1949-50 Chevy 2 door hardtop....they will cut off or unbolt any part you need. You have a look at those cars on Saturday...and by Sunday they are rubble sometimes....

17. Scott

Scott

I enjoy walking through. No expectations, so when I find something I can use its a pleasant surprise. A good way to kill a Sunday once or twice a year.

BigDogSS likes this.
  18. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Pomona Swap Meet has sucked since people have caught on to the internet, nothing new. There has been other threads on the subject of the PSM's slow demise. Last I checked, they have less swap meet dates than they used to as well. Times have changed.

19. 2935ford

2935ford

You're right, thanks for the correction, I think.......It was held in the City of Industry that year. At least that's where I went.....and it was BIG!

20. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

My dad and I used to go a lot when I was in high school (late 80's). we would wait to pick up left over junk. my pop was into junk, I was into old cars. I would start hearing the commercials on 95.5 KLOS and get all excited. Bought and sold a lot of stuff there. Got a ticket on the way once for pulling a trailer in the fast lane. Traded a Corvair sandrail for a '69 Camaro (350, 4-speed, Orange with white interior!). wish I still had that Camaro, drove it for awhile. went there about 6-7 years ago and saw a chopped model A- fenderless, banger motor, flat black, whitewalls and had to have it. I once bought a '39 trans and carried that summbitch all the way back to the car. Everytime I go, I say never again. haven't been there in over 5 years now...

21. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

Quote I read on a local car club forum "Swap meets have become a nostalgic day out in memory of what they once were". I think this sums it up pretty well in most cases. Here in Australia the bigger ones seem to have become mainly social events (not that that's all bad). I believe that a large chunk of what I'll call good stuff has all been bought and sold. It's now either being used or being hoarded, no longer in the marketplace. I've done Pomona once, Long Beach 3 or 4 times. Far preferred Long Beach, better quality stuff in a smaller area. Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on a '55 Chevy salesman's book and a Man-a-Fre intake the first time I was there!

22. toml24

toml24

The last I heard there was 17 miles of vendors at Pomona. I can check out the vendors or the cool cars on display but my legs don't allow me to see both.

23. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

My Dad and myself go to pomona all the time .Most of it is over priced .How is the big swap meet up in Portland ?

24. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I use to sell at Pomona in the 80's, Chevy disc brake kits I would assemble with new rotors, bearings, calipers and master cyl. For early Novas and Camaros complete with spindles did very well.

Now it's a circus !

25. Well outside of that Mr Lincoln - how was the play...but seriously at any swap meet you just never know what you might find - better luck at some other swap meets in the future.

26. Better luck in the future? The point is it's all junk and cell phone covers, and it's only getting worse (not much of that future to look forward to). Years ago I used to go to Long Beach and Pomona swap meets and buy piles of parts every time for current and future projects. I'd grab lunch afterwards and then go to my shop and clean, sort and put those parts on shelves for the rest of the afternoon. Now around every 6 weeks or so I come back with silicone and wire ties. I still go on the off chance I find something, but it's very rare to take my hands out of my pockets with money in them for anything. Like I said, it's now a business instead of a hobby and everyone's a fucking expert. I got beat out on a good deal on a car a few yrs ago. I made an offer that I was confident would be accepted until some guy paid more (one of those experts). He spent 6 months parting that car out that should have been built instead (my intention) only to LOSE money!!!

27. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Used to go a lot 10+ years ago and u could find awesome parts for cheap. The last few times I went this past year has literally been all Chevy Impala parts, mostly repro parts. Saw one 29 Rpu body and bed and frame for $6k! And the only guys who have anything worth buying are 3 times the worth price and they won't budge on a dime. Which is why 10yrs later they display the same parts.
    I don't go to Pomona to be social, I go to find parts. And haven't found any parts in a few years. Maybe I'll buy a 59 Chevy, then go to Pomona!

Flathead Dave likes this.
  28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't believe I didn't see a logical choice in this whole convo. Am I just fuckin stupid? Instead of whining and waxing nostalgic about the days when a Deuce coupe was under $10K, or when there were Ford parts to buy, why aren't you there with the only table filled with all the right stuff? You want cheap prices on stuff invent the time machine, or start a national rebellion against inflation. Unless a space is like $150/day get off your asses and take some stuff to sell. Look at the bright side, another vendor or 10 will probably clean you out before your coffee gets cold. WTF kids...? Get on c'list and hit the resale shops and go to "little" swaps and stock up. Nothing like free parts for your cars with honest profits.

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm sorry to hear that about Pomona, it was on my bucket list of things to do before I croak. Turkey Run in Daytona is sort of getting that way too. Vendor after vendor was bitching about no sales, but they wanted brand new prices for used parts, and would not bend. I saw the same parts all weekend, unsold, and the vendor was going to take it home with him rather than drop the price a little.

I blame it on the internet and Ebay.

Don

30. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Highlanders idea is good if you beat the bushes...Groucho is right in that people are asking way too much money for shit. When I ask a price on something...and they start with..."Well on Ebay or the internet they go for so and so" My retort is ....we are not on the internet...we are at a swap meet...youre not paying ebay and paypal fees...not boxing stuff up and not holding your breath over what something will sell for.
    The other thing not being talked about that is happening is that the car "scene" is very broad now. 30 years ago you wouldn't see late model truck parts....Japanese car parts...5.0 mustang stuff...etc....etc. It also wasnt as commercial...no extra BS stuff being sold. I blame the venue on that. I have a buddy that goes to the swaps looking for a narrow group of parts...1st gen Camaro parts. He is disappointed nearly every time. I like all sorts of stuff so it seems like there is always something there that is interesting to me...we are also spoiled that Pomona is nearby....otherwise you'd see a thread...."where are the good swaps?" Better a fair to middling swap than none.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016