Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pomona swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Apr 19, 2016.

1. It's really getting bad. Some decent cars, but mostly fucking garbage. But, you wouldn't know by the prices. Cream prices for crap cars. There was a decent 66 catalina, but dude wanted $25K for it. It was just a decent looking driver with decent interior and poorly matched paint. 13015431_10206196057042326_6688552489504911876_n.jpg 12592376_10206196057682342_3635161433243998493_n.jpg 12986987_10206196058002350_8048074502340526164_n.jpg 13043202_10206196057482337_8220872836938744552_n.jpg

kiwijeff and Cooon like this.
  2. exterminator

exterminator

Yes I agree.Did not go this time,but when I do go -mostly go to find parts.Not much out there now days.

3. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Nobody goes to Pomona anymore, its too crowded.

4. Did you think about that one? LOL

mcyunger, blowby, Johnny Gee and 6 others like this.

5. Haven't been to Pomona in many years, sorry to hear it's gone down.
    Prices are high everywhere, it's getting where the working man doesn't have a chance in a hobby that the working man created.
    There are still some deals to be found, Portland had more than a few this year. Stay with it.

Groucho and jeffd1988 like this.
  6. Scott

Scott

I agree about the prices.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  7. used to go to every swap meet at Pomona but the guys trying to get rich off everything ruined it, I haven't been there in 7-8 years now, sure do miss the days when you could walk every isle and not see someone selling socks or furniture

8. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

When was the last time you guys went to Carlisle or Hershey Pa. Everybody there is swingin for the fence. Its all over and I think you can thank some of the over hyped shows on TV like the ass monkeys and Count blackula and all the others. Lets not forget Barret-Jackson and the other made for TV entertainment auctions.
    There are deals out there but you have to be patient when spending your hard earned jing.
    I'm one of those cheapskate guys. If it ain't a deal I don't buy..

36couper likes this.
  9. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

That's an old Yogi Berra saying

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Last time I went to Pamona was 2 years ago and there were so many people, I couldn't focus on searching for parts because I had to keep a eye on the people that were all over the place. Worse than the local freeways.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2016-4-19_12-21-19.png
    Thanks Groucho, I actually spit cola all over my keyboard on that one, it'll probably stop wor

12. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

My Dad and I used to go to the Pomona swap meet religiously but stopped about 10 years ago when we noticed the early Ford parts and cars getting thin and the quality of the crowd going down.

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early ford parts are a super rare item at Pomona, not really worth going for an early ford parts hunter, but Chevy stuff on near every stall, yawn.

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I remember going with my dad in like '98 and being really excited about what was there. Guess it just got to be too much.

15. that and watching out for the people crashing wagons and scooters into your ankles, gawd forbid you get hungry or thirsty, your day is ruined with 2 hour wait in line and all your parts cash for a burger or burrito and drink

16. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

AMERICAN PICKERS strikes again!!!!!!

wbrw32 likes this.
  17. I see what you did there....

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I go a few times a year, but only if I know I need something for the future. I went Sunday and bought a 55 Buick dash for $70. I plan on putting it in a 48 Diamont T. I keep my eyes on the ground just in case something special is laying there. If I see something me or a friend may want , I price it then decide to buy or not. I agree most things are overpriced.

19. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

I have been going to this swap meet for 20 years and it used to be a real swap meet with only car parts and cool people selling there. In the last 2 years I have noticed:
    a. Everyone is trying to get rich-probably after watching too much tv as stated here.
    b. Many, not all, sellers have a real attitude problem, my guess is because they bought high expecting to sell high to some other sucker............and now they cant get rid of their junk, so it pisses them off especially after downing a few Buds.
    c. There are NEVER any Ford parts there anymore, If you are a Chevy guy, then this is the most saturated swap meet for Chevy parts and you can actually get some good deals there, IF YOU CAN GET PAST THE ATTITUDE.
    d. Why the fuck should I pay $20.00 to enter, plus whatever they charge for parking to see some clown selling brand new Hot Wheels he just bought at the local Wal Mart?!?!? This is supposed to be an ANTIQUE CAR PARTS SWAP MEET and not an old school, old drive in location, sell everything swap meet.
    So, with that, I just don't go anymore.
    I really prefer to try to find parts here on the HAMB for my project as most of the HAMBers' don't fit into the categories above, are cool and respectful and do what they say they are going to do.

20. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I love going to the Pomona Swapmeet. You guys expect too much. Yeah, it is not like it used to be, but what is? I used to go a couple of times a year, then stopped altogether because life happened. A couple years ago, projects started to ramp-up and now find myself going quite often. I never buy much unless it is a pretty good deal. I mostly go for the social aspect. I see and hangout with good friends and have fun, then go have lunch at a local eatery. We usually do walk the whole parts portion, then go look at a few cars. Even if buy nothing, it is a good day! We are lucky to have a regular auto swapmeet close to us. I went for the first in 1979 with an uncle.
    BTW, entry is $10 per person, plus parking.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Chrisbcritter and 117harv like this.
  21. 2935ford

2935ford

The last time I was at the Pomona swap was Sunday, June 15, 1975 (Father's Day)........I wasn't looking for anything special but there was lots of good stuff there at then reasonable prices...............when I got back home I had to get my wife to the hospital for the birth of our son! Pretty cool Father's Day gift, huh! :)

The37Kid likes this.
  22. I used to live in Pomona and quit going back then. I tried it once to last year and nothing good came of it.
    The thing to do is save up and just wait for LARS, do once a year, then travel north or east out of state for a real swapmeet. Even the GG swaps have better part nowadays.

23. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i think its just about everywhere, if you want some worn out dragrace parts, or chinese tools come to the indiana swap meets. it starting to suck everywhere. i think groucho bought everything! i have to say i really looked at that 40 ford you had listed groucho! i had a chub for that one!

24. Wow....this used to be one of the best...I guess I better stop telling everyone around here to not deal with the rusty crap we get out here, buy a ticket to LA and hit Pamona...used to see mundane cars like 6 banger camaros, lemans, malibus, for reasonable prices

25. Guess we are lucky up here in Canada. Just went to 3 different swaps during the last 3 sundays

Sent from my Z10 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

The hobby is 65+ years old, the great stuff got picked a long time ago. Bob

27. In the 90's when we lived in Phoenix, my dad would buy early Fords out of the Midwest and bring them to Pomona. We would almost always go back to phoenix with an empty trailer. The market was strong in SoCal and he'd make a quick profit.

I remember one 46 coupe that had a nice black paint job, decent interior with a rumpy 283. He wrote $9850 on the windshield and had a line of guys wanting it.

28. It's all been said here. I've been going for over 35 years and yeah, what a change. But still fun to go, you never know what will find you.
    I just go once or twice a year now.

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Like saying "Jumbo Shrimp" isn't it ?

Groucho likes this.