Register now to get rid of these ads!

POLY-wannacracker???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64ragtop, Feb 26, 2006.

1. 64ragtop

64ragtop

Well, this oughtta be good for a laugh anyway, so here goes. What would be a fair price to pay a salvage yard for a "running, driving" '66 Mopar 318 POLY engine and Torqueflite trans! Why, you ask. Because it's goin, into my "1946 Dodge Dakota". And I like the valve covers!

My ride, my bucks, MY choices! - right???

2. 64ragtop

64ragtop

NO replies - geez, am i THAT far off??? NAH, Musta been too early for ya - or too late for the early risers!

Anyway - one time:

BTT

3. muffman58

muffman58

A decent price to pay if its what you say it is would be 250.00/300.00 in my opinion, and that if you really decide you want to go that way. Never seen a Dakota that old, any pics? I would think about a more modern drive train [ read more power] and the fact that its gonna be hidden under a hood is a plus if you head in this direction. The old truck weighs alot! Something to consider if you want to go faster than a city bus! My opinion!

4. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

I wouldnt go more than $400 450 and do a compression check before the transaction is final. They are good engines but speed parts are hard to come by.
    Glad to hear you have some imagination and are not throwing a generic small block chevy in it.

Dawg

5. guiseart

guiseart

Yeah, what he said.... and pictures too please?

I would think a boat-anchor like a 318 would be my last choice, but like you said - your choice.

You could score a 340 or 360 for a few hundred in my neck of the woods, and get a heck of a lot more UMPH for the buck.

6. 64ragtop

64ragtop

Well, my ride's gonna be all MOPAR! It's a '46 Dodge Pickup on a '91 Dakota frame. I want a Poly engine 'cause the valve covers are cool, and because my sister and I were unsuccessful at killin' the poly in out family's '62 Fury while we were in hi school.

Mom and Dad are no longer with us, now that story can be told!

And if it's too slow, there's room for a 440!

The orange one is kinda like what i have in mind...

Attached Files:

7. Disregard the naysayers!

"Nay! Nay! Nay!"

318 polys are tough. What the story on that engine and those headers?

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    Most polys don't bring much outta a bone yard....$200.-$350. , with
    the ladder figure being for a jus tits example.......

As far as a poly bein a boat anchor, hum? Stock with 2barrel= 230 hp.
    with a bigger wallet 300hp. is not to rough. Parts are not as easily found
    as their later brothern, the LA motors, but they are out there.

Remember, anyone can run a SBC, ya may as well buy those vinyl stick-
    on flame decals, and plastic chrome dash knobs as go that route!

Swankey Devils C.C.

9. crapshoot

crapshoot

i would say 200-300 is all i would pay for a 318 poly outta a boneyard hell its not like theres a line of people are lining up for one. offer cash it go's farther

10. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

Treat the engine as a rebuildable core; if so, then you're lookin' at a $200 item.

More oomph? There's a guy on this board somewheres crankin' 400 HP outta an LA!

Do build that motor! Makes me cringe every time I see a SBC where a more 'interesting' motor could reside...

11. 64ragtop

64ragtop

Mucho thanks, folks for all the responses! Yeah, Chuck, I feel the same about the "plague" of SBCs. Not that they're bad, they're NOT! It's just that they're so common. And, (HEY!) I didn't say folks who use 'em are common!!! Maybe someday I'll rod an old chevy and put a MOPAR or Ford mill in it!

Considerin' that the body info tag on my truck states that it came with a monstrous 80 Certified horsepower, 250-300 or so oughtta be enough for me, not bust the bank and not bust the motor!

I think I found the pic of the engine w/the cool covers and loop-da-loop headers through the 318 poly group, I'll try to track it down. Any header fab folks wanna make me a set???

12. Gary Pavlovich

Gary Pavlovich
    from CA

64 Ragtop,
    Glad you are interested in building a Poly 318.
    I wouldn't pay more than $250 for complete engine and trans out of the wrecking yard as private parties usually give them away.
    Are you in Austin, TX? Send me an e-mail at glpavlovich@cox.net and I will send you some contact information in your area to hopefully score a Poly motor for next to nothing cash-wise.

There are many speed parts for the Poly 318 engine. The only difficulty is finding a new four barrel intake as Weiand stopped making the #7503 for the Poly. I have been in touch with the person at Weiand that made the decision forego re-tooling on that Poly intake. There are plenty of used intakes still around; especially the OEM dual quad. Won't be still late summer before we get some New intakes ready. Presently, I still have some alum. intakes for the Poly as well as all New finned alum. valve covers, New pistons, New Performance Camshafts, Stainless Steel oversize valves, blueprinter rocker setups, TTI headers, gasket sets...and more for the Poly 318.

You can easily get 300-350HP from the Poly. I got 405HP/442Torque from my stroker Poly without tuning; should easily reach 450HP with a few changes I am making. And our "race POLY" should get around 530HP; will send you pictures of that one if you like; nice sheet metal tunnel ram induction... By the way, the picture you posted is my stroker Poly.

Send me an e-mail and I will help you, or anyone else, that would like to build a Poly 318 or stroker Poly.

Take care,
    Gary Pavlovich