Register now to get rid of these ads!

Poly primer question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TUCK66, Dec 16, 2011.

1. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Im spraying pcl poly prime and when i go to stir this stuff up its really thick down on the bottom i took my time stirring it and mixed it up good but still a liitle thick on the bottom,just wondering if this is normal or i got and old can....sprayed good but just wondering about the rest on the bottom should i have just kept stirring this till my arm fell off...thanx in advance for your replys.........

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Stir until it is all consistent. That's the only way you can get a good primer job

3. Crankhole

Crankhole

Let the can sit upside down for a bit...then stir again. Make sure the lid is on. :)

4. Noland

Noland

yea stir till consistant. When you buy it have them put it on the paint shaker for awhile this will make it easier for you later.

5. Yup keep stirring or take it to a paint store and see if they will shake it up for you.

6. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

stir stir stir , or get the drill out and welder and get creative to make a mixer..

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just did this earlier this week, and wish I'd had them shake it at the paint store! Took me 30 min. of stirring to get all the solids mixed into a creamy even solution. If you spray without it all being mixed you're leaving a lot of primer out, and it wont give good results. Plus the next mix will have too much solids in it and build differently.

8. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Yep all these replys make total sense thanks everybody for them.!!!!!

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

This stuff is a very handy stuff to use but get it covered with some epoxy after flatting as it sucks up moisture like a sponge.

10. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Got another question on this one paint and body guys.....lets say i spray this stuff and im lower than i thought. Didnt get my filler flush can i lay some body filler on top of this poly primer....will it stick. Or do i need to grind it back down to to the plastic filler agian.....

11. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Tuck i've always done my filler work first on top of epoxy primer and on the odd occasion of using the Poly just used it like a thick primer for final finishing, I don't use it anymore for the moisture reason i posted above.
    Some of the cars i've seen it used on suffer micro blistering, although this seems to be only on steel cars.

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tuck,

Not everyone's a fan of the polyester primers for alota reasons........

If you are working on fibreglass vehicles it's great, but on steel can cause problems. Never use it over bare steel as it will attrack water & cause rust, always between a coat of epoxy or better urethane.

If you have to recoat your filler over it, I'd scuff the poly primer with 80 grit production paper. Excesive coats of poly primer under a paint job have been known to crack:eek:

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

14. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

try a paint shaker. but poly primer usually only has a 6mo shelf life. really short. shorter if opened. the stuff is high build and easy sanding, but is prone to splits and chips due to its thickness.

15. Dorrier kustom

Dorrier kustom

I have had issues with k p c l before. If you don't shake it well or stir it well after you put the hardner in you could get little patches of primer that won't cure

16. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Got this stuff mixed up good this weekend and prayed real nice using a cheepo harbor freight gavity feed gun...not putting it on any bare metal using an etching primer first i was suprised it sprayed out of this gun not a very wide pattern but thats okay just puttin the hi build over the body work then im going to epoxy......thanx guys for all your input

17. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

I was always under the impression that you should put your filler on bare metal...i see alot of post that putting filler on primer is ok...or on top of epoxy my father...old skool body man from way back told my to put it on metal not on primer soooo....whats best..

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I would never put filler on primer, in the old days filler went on bare metal but these days all the good body shops I know epoxy the bare metal first and then do the filler work, when the filler work is done its revisited in epoxy before the Hi build is put on.
    I've used this process for 20 odd years now and not had a problem, I also use tinted primer to match the top colour.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

19. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

Thanx langy epoxy it is..gonna start using it. Using the poly now for a high build where needed but alot more filler work to come on this one.....

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

To be honest Tuck if you get your filler work good there isn't any need for the Poly, The hi build should do the job for you. I've got 2 litres of Poly on the shelf which have been there 10 years, I won't ever use them.

21. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

My local paint store sold me a one gallon mixing lid (about $20.00). I took the top dohickey off (that connects to the mixing machine) and use my DeWalt cordless drill to mix up my primer. Seems to me, one of the better ways to get all the material into suspension before spraying. Stu

22. TUCK66

TUCK66
    from CORONA,CA.

I tell you turning the gallon over on its lid for a bit and then given to my 16 yr. Old son tellin him to hold on tight and shake away really worked out good so imgettin some pretty good results from this stuff....will post some pics soon.....and langy u r right get the body work done then spray the build....but its been 20 or so trs. Since i done a project so im tunin my skills over here gettin better as we go along...thanx....to everybody merry christmas......i hope there is another gallon of high build under the tree