Register now to get rid of these ads!

Poly motors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C. Montgomery, Feb 7, 2010.

1. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I cant search, as im posting from my phone. Can you buy rebuild parts for these motors? What about speed parts? Are they worth messing with? What are the weaknesses/strengths of them? What transmissions bolt up? Thanks.

2. krooser

krooser

Same blocks as hemis... you can amke a Hemi out of a Dodge, Plyouth or Chrysler with a set set of pistons and heads... great motors as-is... breath pretty good, too.

3. All parts available just expensive as a hemi.

4. pickupman55

pickupman55

There are two places in boston that sells poly parts, got most of my stuff there. Andy Bernbaums and Roberts motorparts.

5. pickupman55

pickupman55

here's mine

Attached Files:

6. panic

panic

The most common poly motor (1956-67 "A") is completely unrelated to any hemi engine.

7. barslazyr

barslazyr

You can get adapters to bolt just about any trans to them.

8. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Anyone else have anything to say?

9. 73RR

73RR

As hinted to by Panic, you really need to identify exactly which engine you have. There are two distinct poly series and besides the oil, not much interchanges.....

10. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Just say a 56 chrysler.. I have the hots for a 56 chrysler windsor. Every one of them i find has a 331 poly in it...

11. 73RR

73RR

Great engine as is, no need to convert to Hemi unless you have the $$$ and no where else to throw it.
    The heads flow well and the intake can be easily modified to accept a later carb. Electronic ignition and a new cam will wake it up (if it is a runner) and a rebuild should include more compression.

12. George

George

Hemi tech index There is a section on your type of Poly & most tricks for hemi blocks work on your type of poly.

13. sonim38

sonim38

what modifications must be made to a poly to make it a poly/hemi??? i feel alot of machining must be first!!

14. George

George

The "A" poly can't be converted, only the hemi based. On hemi based you change pistons, the whole head assembly, push rods & ex mans.