Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Poly Fuel Tank Venting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Stewardson, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Chris Stewardson

Chris Stewardson

Hello,
    I just picked up a gently used/ new Gasser build and I’m noticing gas fumes in the trunk where the poly tank is mounted. No leaks and it’s obvious it’s coming from the vented fuel cap. Just more than I’m comfortable with in my garage.

My question is more about running a proper vent outside of the vehicle to eliminate / capture the fumes from underneath.

1) do I have to coil the line above the tank before routing under the car through the floor?
    2) any suggestions for a clean / compact carbon catch can pick up easily?
    3) After I run this fix, I’m assuming I need to switch to a ventless cap, correct ?

Regards,
    Chris

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 and mgtstumpy like this.
  2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Find yourself a charcoal cannister that they use for early smog cars, vent the tank to that and then through the floor with a sealed cap

Chris Stewardson likes this.
  3. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Most racing organizations require a one way valve in the vent line which is routed down under the car and out the back. Yes, on the no vent cap.
    If you have an electric fuel pump, you will have to have an inertia switch in the hot lead going to the pump.
    Nice looking car.

4. Chris Stewardson

Chris Stewardson

Thanks Pete,
    I do not plan on racing it, just want to get the smell under control. It’s a manual fuel pump, btw. On the hunt for an old school canister I can mount underneath.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Nice looking car, the attention to detail definitely stands out from where I'm seated!
    I saw this vent used on another HAMB thread, here's one for sale.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-7...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Given that the filler neck is in the trunk, down here it's mandatory for that area to be fully sealed from the passenger compartment with a non vented cap to be used. The tank needs to be vented externally with an appropriate rollover loop so any discharge is outside the car and not in the trunk or passenger compartment. Safety first.
    The vent tube needs to run up and above the tank in a loop before it exists the body.
    In my 35 Chebby I ran the vent from the underfloor tank up through the floor to the belt line where it did a loop before it it then turned back going down and exiting through the floor area rear near the chassis, tank and fender. You could use a one-way rollover valve and connect the vent line to it. That way no fumes can enter the passenger compartment as it vents externally. All gaps between passenger compartment and trunk need to be sealed and airtight so no vapours or fumes can enter. On my 46 Olds I'm using one of these SS marine vents as a bulkhead fitting as it has filter screens to keep out debris, it's compact and for aesthetics as well as running an additonal vapour return line to the filler neck

upload_2019-4-20_12-2-50.jpeg [​IMG]

[​IMG] upload_2019-4-20_12-35-3.png

6. Chris Stewardson

Chris Stewardson

Since my main goal is to vent the tank, get the fumes out of the trunk and not stink up the garage, have I lost my mind with this idea below?

First vent the tank with the in tank roll over Valve / fitting
    [​IMG]

Run the fuel line up and loop it back down through the floor to a non- baffled catch can stuffed with carbon pads, mounted underneath?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Seems it would get plenty of ventilation and take care of my fumes issue, as well as being a clean install. The pads could be changed out as needed if they become saturated.

7. Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

That's the one I referred to but couldn't find. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  9. 5window

5window

Nice car, some helpful solutions-I am not a fan of poly tanks.Especially older ones.