Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Poly begets a Hemi begets a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wstory, May 21, 2020.

1. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Very cool! You have any pics? I have yet to determine how the oil level should be indicated on the dip stick. And I'm waiting on the heads so's I can locate the top of the dip stick tube.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Well shit!!!! Guess I gotta re-do that pickup tube. Thanks guys for your "heads up". Better have egg on my face now than being stranded on the road.;)

3. MrBill, In my estimation, having to change that one small item isn't a mistake, it is just an improvement. I also shivered when I saw the copper, and feel better that you are changing to steel.
    I have always admired hemis, but have never worked on one. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching your build.
    Bob

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Wonderful Thread..... Outstanding.

5. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Better??? Tx for the observation. Never thunk of that. Now I know everything :rolleyes:
    Seriously,....don't ever hesitate to share an observation or an opinion.
    IMG_2304.JPG

6. swifty

swifty

Following and enjoying your thread. Any mention of "Poly" gets my attention with two 318 Polys in my hot rods.
    Any details on the engine/trans combo in your 32 roadster?

7. Nice work Bill.:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

9. swifty

swifty

Thanks for that info Bill and being a Mopar fan I'm real happy that you tossed an SBC for a Mopar Poly/Hemi. What cars ran the 315 Poly and 325 Hemi?

10. George

George

Bingo on the 1st part! 315 Poly: '56 Dodge Royal, Custom Royal, 500 325 Hemi: '57 Coronet, Royal, Suburban, Sierra

11. swifty

swifty

Thanks for that George, my lack of knowledge is because we never got those US models here in Australia. Chrysler Australia concocted a Chrysler Royal with the flat six then in later years added the Canadian 313 Poly.

12. George

George

Here Dodge had only the 318, Plymouth jumped from 301/303(?) to 318, no 313.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  13. George

George

The '56 500 could be had with the 315 Hemi. The '57 models also came with the 325 Poly as did the '57 DeSoto Firesweep

14. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Yeop.
    Makes the exhaust pulsations equal, each collector gets 180° pulsations just like a flat plane 4 cylinder.
    The typical American V8 exhaust burble is the sound of inefficiency. Equal pulsations mean more power and the collector doesn't have to be massive along with exhaust piping can be a smaller diameter to save weight as well. Get to keep the well balanced cross-plane crank in your engine and not have to worry about 2nd order vibration shenanigans that require balance shafts on larger displacements.

15. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

IMG_3334.jpg
    Bought the car in 2004, had a SBC and manual trans. Proceeded to make it my own, over 16 years via wheels/tires, lights, paint, extended cockpit, top, cowl steering, Hemi, headers and a 5 spd. Learned how to do it all on this car. I love this car!
    Here it s today with 325 Hemi, S10-T5, 130K miles in U.S. and Canada.

Img_0194b.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  16. swifty

swifty

Thanks for that Bill, you have definitely succeeded in building an excellent hot rod. It has a great profile and I like to see rods using the not-so-common engines in the Rocket, Nailhead, Cadillac plus the Hemi and Poly as it makes the build so much more challenging (and expensive)
    Your roadster is just so right as it's on the road being used and enjoyed as evidenced by your 130k miles in the last 15 years.

17. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

[​IMG]
    Thought I'd throw this out just for grins. Seen at the Long Beach Swap Meet last weekend.
    Check the throttle linkage.
    -
    And, I have been futzin with small stuff just to make some kinda progress while I wait for the cool components I'd rather be working on. Body work on valve covers and the pan is no fun. Hopefully within the next week or so I'll have heads, a cam and rocker arms to bolt together.
    IMG_2312.JPG IMG_2317.JPG IMG_2337.JPG IMG_2349.JPG
    Have to do some nibbling on four breathers so's they fit in the groove.

18. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Well boys and girls, I apologize for the extended recess,....ya know, life, procrastination, anal retentive disorder.....
    Finally got the valve covers done (I'll show them later) and got TDC located and recorded. Small Block Mopar harmonic balancer is now marked with my custom Hemi timing marks. Still need to do the paint fill. IMG_2378.JPG IMG_2384.JPG IMG_2409.JPG
    This past weekend was like Christmas. Got my camshaft, SBC reverse rotating water pump, a flywheel and adapter to the 5 spd that's been languishing under the work bench. Trial fit of the water pump yielded some interference that was addressed by bashing on my customized timing cover and nibbling on the water pump to block adapters.
    IMG_2405.JPG
    IMG_2404.JPG
    During the "recess", accessory drive options were explored. I settled on this,....in concept, thus the reverse rotating water pump. Soon's I get the cam installed and timing cover buttoned up (and get the heads which I'm still waiting for) the accessory locations will be mocked up to see if it works like the sketch suggests.
    thumbnail (9).jpg

19. Great build. Looking forward to watching the forced induction and 180° exhaust parts of this build. Keep up the good work.

20. ski

ski
    from San Diego

Nice work! Good to see you back in action Bill. I got a call yesterday and my heads are finally done.
    ski

loudbang likes this.
  21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Thanks for sharing this thread, it is very satisfying watching your Hemi go together with so much attention to detail!

It may not be feasible, but getting the idler pushing on the opposite side of the belt may be advantageous. That way the blower pulley will get additional wrap as the belt stretches and engine speeds and boost increase. You may never see enough RPM and blower drag for it to slip or toss belts, but I know on high-HP blower cars, getting that belt to stay put can be a real fight. :)

Great work!

loudbang likes this.
  22. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

I mentioned Christmas and then forgot to show the presents.
    IMG_2407.JPG
    Today's fun was getting the modified cam assembly assembled and installed. The long nose cam has been modified to accommodate the modified timing cover to accommodate the SBC water pump.
    IMG_2413.JPG IMG_2415.JPG IMG_2419.JPG

23. patsurf

patsurf

loudbang likes this.
  24. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Don't think so. Checked with a straight-edge. But I'll double check in the morning.
    Thanks for keeping me honest.

winduptoy, Kodak Jack and loudbang like this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Probably just the angle that the picture was taken from

warhorseracing, fauj and loudbang like this.
  26. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Please, please, please gents, don't ever hesitate to share an observation. Checked it and this time I had it "covered". Whew!!!!! I'm just an average Joe with average skills and lucky to stay ahead of the curve. If I'da had a problem down stream, I'da thunk,....."shoulda double checked it".:rolleyes:
    IMG_2420.JPG IMG_2423.JPG

27. Hemihead_NHRA

Hemihead_NHRA

What kind of grind did you do on the cam? And is it a poly or hemi cam? Im trying to build my 270 poly to be something half decent and was curious. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  28. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

It is now a Hemi cam. That should be confirmed by my friend Gary at QEC, "73RR" on this thread. Gary is the guy for Poly build parts and coaching.

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"shoulda double checked it" Boy, ain't that the truth. When I built my 392 I thought I was double and triple checking everything. After I had the timing cover and pan on, I found that damned oil dripper channel laying (hiding actually, I think) behind my bench vise. Off comes the tin and the timing chain setup to put the channel back where it belonged.
    Dripper.JPG

30. Apache Albert

Apache Albert

Gorgeous work! Definitely art in the making. Also shows us how patients and slowness work on an engine.

loudbang likes this.