Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Poly 318 Rocker arm and lifter help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moonman29, Sep 10, 2015.

1. moonman29

moonman29

Well I'm finishing putting together this poly 318 that is going into a non-hamb friendly car (66 Satellite) but the engine it self is a traditional engine that could be found in any hot rod. The problem I ran into last night was that when I was putting in the push rods and running out the slack on the adjustable rocker arms, two of them were not self locking like the rest. If you are not familiar with these rocker arms, they do not use jam nuts or any means of locking, they are self locking, meaning they get very tight while screwing them in. On two of them, i was able to adjust all the slack out and them I could back up the adjuster with my fingers! How can i get these two to lock again? Second question is, I am putting a new mechanical cam obviously new lifters, while I was putting them in last night, I noticed one hand a ding/blemish/imperfection (what ever you want to call it) on the cam face of the lifter. Do you all think it is safe to install this lifter as is or should I just get another one? Please see attached pictures of the engine, rocker arm and lifter. Any advise would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. daliant

daliant

For loose rocker adjusters I've taken a chisel to the threads and put a little ding in them to restore the interference fit which locks them in place. Another option would be to replace them with locking style adjuster screws from Crane part# 99802-16. these have longer threads and use a jam nut.
    That lifter doesn't jive with me, I'd replace it just for piece of mind.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. swifty

swifty

Best guy to ask re this stuff is Gary Pavlovich who is the "318 guru" He is on here but very rarely as there are so few threads re polys. There is also a 318 Poly forum and it would be worth contacting them with your question. Personally I would get 2 useable rockers and a new lifter for your build.
    That's a sweet looking Poly with your Edelbrock covers and Weiand manifold.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would never under any circumstances install a lifter with a ding in it against a new cam. If you have a local cam grinder, he can touch up the lifter foot. Or ask the seller to make good on it.