Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Poll: Which would you build?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bartmcneill, Jan 14, 2017.

1. brady1929

brady1929

Chopped coupe. Can't go wrong.

camistheman likes this.
  2. Coupe...a vicky is just a sedan with a little shorter top IMHO and I always thought of sedans as old people's cars. And I never likes the idea of "my stuff" riding around in the cab with me. I'm a little weird about clutter around me. With a coupe my stuff is locked away in the trunk where it's not visible.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    camistheman and ct1932ford like this.
  3. adam401

adam401

Ya see this thread kinda started out like a decision made in a vacuum with all things being equal. Then you chimed in again with additional information. I normally don't comment on these type of threads but ya got me.
    If you already have a coupster and just need to weld the roof on then weld it the fuck together already. The time it takes to read all these pointless opinions it would be done. Go out to the car, drag all the parts near it, make sure you have welding gas and cutting wheels and WELD IT THE FUCK TOGETHER. Then go buy the Vicky body and put it in the side yard. Tough love. You got this brother

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

With those roof pieces, go for the coupe- body looks pretty DONE already.
    Couple of days work and you got a coupe ( NO CHOP)

camistheman likes this.
  5. Exactly. There IS a "correct" answer: BOTH!

camistheman likes this.
  6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There must be something wrong with the water in NZ ! LOL

camistheman likes this.
  7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would be privileged to take a ride in your Vicky when done. Then we can MOON all those coupes that are creating a traffic jam. LOL

camistheman and mike bowling like this.
  8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well stated, 31Vicky with a hemi. WELL STATED ! You gave him the spanking he deserved. LOL

camistheman likes this.
  9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

UNIQUE ! ! No slam intended, but the rearend looks to be a bit too far to the rear. Love Vickys.

camistheman likes this.
  10. Dick Lobach

Dick Lobach
    from Emmaus Pa

A coupe like I had in the 50,s

Attached Files:

Raiman1959 and camistheman like this.
  11. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

Vicky

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

this sways things a little, but considering the amount of time money and effort it takes to build a car, I always say go with the one that REALLY sparks your passion. By what you've posted, it sounds like that's the Victoria. And as others have said, Model A coupes are everywhere. Looks like you are going full-fendered whichever you choose?

camistheman likes this.
  13. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

You see more coupes because they are cooler. Plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

camistheman and mike bowling like this.
  14. FlatheadWard

FlatheadWard

It's always personal preference since these two autos are a very different and distinct look and design, both have a place on the history of the art. However, as mentioned above the Vicky is a much more formidable project due to the extensive use of wood, the coupe is for the most part metal with only small amounts of wood. And coupe styling is all about hot rodding where as the Vicki is a much more classic design. Not sure about production figures but I would guess that many more coupes were manufactured than vickie's so I suspect the Vickie is much more rare than the coupe.
    For me it's hard to make a choice but I'd likely choose the Vicki based on rarity, and not on looks.

camistheman likes this.
  15. trey32

trey32

Weld it together or go buy another body, gee let me think...

camistheman likes this.
  16. 31 standard coupe 79,816, Victoria 33,906. (According to one website). I thought there was going to be a bigger difference, interesting. They made nearly 150,000 Tudors, more than anything else

camistheman likes this.
  17. A bit closer look and you can see there is no rear axle in that pic.

camistheman likes this.
  18. Total Production for 1931 was 1/2 of what it was for 1930
    30/31 coupes 360,000 (standard and delux)
    30/31 Victoria 40,000

image.png

clunker and camistheman like this.
  19. camistheman

camistheman

I would build the Vicky. You just never really see a Vicky, but you see coupes all the time. There are currently more 1932 Ford coupes registered in the state of California alone than Henry Ford ever actually made.

clunker likes this.
  20. Probably a Corvair mill is the only one that hasn't been done. :D

I personally don't like The Vic's (@31Vicky with a hemi ) car, I would like the hell out of it if it were mine though. ;)

I would be real happy if I could just do the Vic windshield treatment on my 28. I like the bustle real well, but "I like big butts and I cannot lie, " but the windshield treatment would make me a happy camper. Takes some of the boxy-ness out of a refrigerator layed on its back.

camistheman likes this.
  21. 5window

5window

I agree,totally.

camistheman likes this.
  22. I have to disagree just a little bit here. My disclaimer, I am a coupe guy as a rule. So my disagreement has more to do with logistics.

I am currently building a sedan (not a Vic I am ashamed to say) because of the type of build that it is. It is the same wheel base as a coupe (as many old fords were) but the idea of the sedan allows me more room to set my engine back. Move engine move seats. Comfort is not real consideration at all and there will be no back seat, no need for one. There will be a small bulkhead to hide my battery and spare tank. I am building more of a long roof coupe I guess. :D

if I had a Vicky to build it would be pretty much the same except I would probably have both tanks under the bustle.

The problem with A coupes (which I love by the way) is that you see one on every corner.

Sometimes being different for the sake of being different is wrong, but there are times that it is just right. Its like walking a slack rope, often it is hard to decide which way to lean or how much. :)

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Vicky's got a lumpy but! Build the coupe.

camistheman likes this.
  24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Coupe....vickys are ugly as fuck

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

camistheman likes this.
  25. [​IMG]

Looks like a Fuckin HOT ROD to me!

26. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I love coupes!....I always wanted one!....it doesn't matter to me ''how many'' coupes are out there in hotrod-land as a comparison factor....they aren't mine. It makes the whole hot rod idealism ''individual'' by what we want, and in our own frame of mind specific to our own dreams and realities.

I probably will never own a Vicky myself, but truth be told, it was never my personal vision in my ambitions... I admit my own little coupe "makes my day'' because it's ''what I wanted'' and finally found a way of getting it in my humble garage.... it makes my insight ''individual'' and ''personal'' first and foremost from all the years of planning and dreaming like a kid at a candy store, often with empty $$$ pockets, but rich in decades-long dreams..... Adding one more coupe to the hot rod world will only bring more smiles and personal appreciation to the roads, to those who see it for what it is....my car, and driven with a big ole' smile.

Enjoy ''what'' you build for what it is....if ya' want a Vicky?...., go for it 100% with a personal taste & vision....personal choice is what makes us all individual, unique hot rodders, and appreciate the similarities of other rodders dreams "as they see it" for themselves too.....I always enthusiastically wave a hearty appreciation gesture to a Vicky owner on the road, just as much as another coupe owner passing by....we make the most of what we have and always enjoy the nod of approval from different make car owners.... Sometimes it isn't easy to explain in such simple ''written'' words or terms, because it's more a devotion to the identity of accumulated years & years of wonderful dreaming and a ''Someday Philosophy'' that I might own a real hot rod too, no matter how 'common' they may be...it's still unique enough on the roads around my neck of the woods, that many still notice what is before them on the road...''this one'' will be mine....and boy, do I enjoy it!..............but honestly, ....I'll still be lookin' for these Vicky's on the road, and hang out the window and wave frantically out of common appreciation!

As for the chickens in my backyard....they ALL live in a chicken ''house''....:D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    camistheman likes this.
  27. Wow

How about a Chevy 5 passenger coupe?

camistheman likes this.
  28. mike bowling

mike bowling

Coupes are more versatile ( say "Hot Rod")
    Vicky's are usually;
    1- stock , or
    2-gasser style , or
    3- Str--t Rods (NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!) ( hairball) (gak , gak , barf)

29. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

I would go Vic ALL THE WAY

camistheman likes this.